Re: Touching words

  • tonymaloley
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004

      > -Jimmy Carter, thanks God for Jimmy Carter

      Snicker, snicker :D Funny stuff.

      I never knew much about the Carter presidency until I saw a
      documentary on PBS recently. The most memorable thing in that
      program was when he tried to blame the national malaise on the
      American public, that if people were unhappy, it was their fault, and
      not the dismal economic conditions. Of course he said it in a much
      more diplomatic way, using some contemporary psycho-babble, but
      everybody and I mean EVERYBODY thought he was wrong to make that
      speech, including his own aides, who tried to stop him. It got him
      the worst approval ratings EVER, worse than Nixon.

      And little Tony used to wonder why Daddy called the President "Old
      Peanut-Butter Brains."
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
        I don't know much about the Carter presidency either, I missed it by
        just a couple of years. I remember hearing that he planned to legalize
        marijuana until a white house aide was caught with cocaine, so Carter
        backtracked on legalizing anything at all.
        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11, 2004
          Stocktraders refer the downtrend of a stock "a falling knife" and
          that's what the situation was like in 1976. I dare to say that
          Ronald Reagan wouldn't have done a much better job had he got
          elected that year.

          The seventies was just a shitty decade in most parts of the world.

          Ram
        • tonymaloley
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
            > Stocktraders refer the downtrend of a stock "a falling knife" and
            > that's what the situation was like in 1976. I dare to say that
            > Ronald Reagan wouldn't have done a much better job had he got
            > elected that year.

            Sadly, the current president usually gets too much credit or blame
            for economic conditions. The national economy has been compared to
            an ocean liner, it has an enormous momentum, takes a long time to
            speed up or slow down.
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
              > Sadly, the current president usually gets too much credit or blame
              > for economic conditions. The national economy has been compared

              But don't forget that the federal government has always been gaining
              more and more power, meaning that they do have more and more
              influence on the economy. Also, the President does have more control
              to the national economy and even the world economy because of
              globalization and international trade speeding up exponentially.

              The situation wasn't like that in 1976. But one thing for sure is
              that trickle-down economics is a scam and has never been recognized
              in academia. With $7,000,000,000,000 worth of national debt
              accumulated in just 25 years, Reagan and Bush II will be remembered
              as two most fiscally irresponsible Presidents 50 years from now.

              Ram
            • tonymaloley
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
                > trickle-down economics is a scam and has never been recognized
                > in academia. With $7,000,000,000,000 worth of national debt
                > accumulated in just 25 years, Reagan and Bush II will be remembered
                > as two most fiscally irresponsible Presidents 50 years from now.

                7 trillion!!! This calls for a tax cut! No, wait, that would be
                stupid...

                It's amazing to me that some people think that lowering taxes is
                always better. What do you get with zero taxes? Feudalism? Anarchy?
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
                  > It's amazing to me that some people think that lowering taxes is
                  > always better. What do you get with zero taxes? Feudalism?

                  Much, much worse has happened. It's called robbing you and the
                  future of the country and the world. The billionaires have become
                  the multi-billionaires as there are not hundreds of them. They are
                  pretty much controlling the whole world and transforming once-
                  regulated capitalism to a global slavery system of different degrees.

                  We are, however, very used to turning a blind eye on the little
                  girls who work till they literally puke their last drop of blood and
                  die in the 100-degree factories in Berma. Their lives are so cheap.