Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: The Culture War

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2005
      Thanks, Ram. More questions, if I may. Did Hoover,
      Coolidge or Harding need to frame their presidencies
      with enemies? I think it would be safe to say that
      Wilson did with communism, but how about LBJ? How
      about FDR, Truman, Carter and Clinton? Just ignore
      this if I'm out of line with too many questions.

      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/presidents/34_eisenhower/eisenhower_politics.html

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2005
        > Thanks, Ram. More questions, if I may. Did Hoover,
        > Coolidge or Harding need to frame their presidencies
        > with enemies? I think it would be safe to say that
        > Wilson did with communism, but how about LBJ? How
        > about FDR, Truman, Carter and Clinton?

        Tom,

        Enemies as in "wars," definitely. Don't forget that LBJ had to start a
        war on poverty on top of Vietnam. It's a matter of legacy.

        There seems to be a theme in each presidency, with some being more
        obvious and intentional than the others. Coolidge is definitely best
        known as the laissez faire Sir Sleep-A-Lot (with a 2-4 hour nap every
        afternoon); Hoover, the fishing geek who had the most tragic
        presidency in history (as seen in Carter's to a lesser extent);
        Truman, the partisan yet veracious straight shooter (half a century
        before McCain); Carter, the Plains guy who can't tell a lie; Clinton,
        the slick Rhodes scholar political genius and the first "Black
        President" beloved by the majority of the country even during his
        impeachment days.

        So the "enemies" depend much on the current events. The Cold War
        presidents all had an enemy by default. During the sixties, it
        definitely got "heated up" with Khrushchev and Mao. (LBJ was literally
        forced to go all out with Vietnam thanks to his insecurity about
        looking soft on Communism. I really think JFK would have handled the
        situation differently.) Having said all that, it was Reagan the actor
        who stole all credit for ending the Cold War that took decades of
        effort of all the Presidents since Ike anyway. Reagan made the
        baby-boomers "feel good about being themselves again" but future
        generations will eventually judge him with much more serious scrutiny.

        Didn't mean to single out Harding. But my guess is that Harding would
        have been a Grant redux had he lived longer. (The current President
        took it to another level.) Finally, note that Nixon doesn't belong to
        this group.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
          Ram.. Thank you, as always, for answering my
          questions. I just read this in a short bio on Grant:

          Grant learned that he was dying of throat cancer. He
          wrote his autobiography so that his family would not
          be penniless. Mark Twains helped get the book
          published. It was a success and brought the Grant
          family over half a million dollars.

          We had a discussion some time back about Twain's
          involvement in Grant's book. It would appear Twain was
          at least in the periphery, although far from clear
          whether he ghosted, as HST opined.