Re: [prezveepsenator] Al Gore, Unleashed

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2005
      Interesting.
      Expect to hear more about values from the Dems, I
      caught 2 press conferences today and and values came
      up a lot. The best line of the day came from Nancy
      Pelosi (paraphrasing): " I don't know just what
      children have done to the administration to be
      punished like this" speaking to regard to a rotten
      (and dead in the water) budget.

      http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_david_mi_051027_al_gore__unleashed.htm
      > Al Gore, Unleashed
      > Tell A Friend
      >
      > by David Michael Green
      >
      > If it's not too early - 37 months before the
      > election - I'd like to
      > make an endorsement for president in 2008.
      >
      > It is an endorsement I could not have imagined
      > making in 2000, and
      > certainly not in 1988. But it is one I make today
      > with only a slight
      > degree of trepidation. I've had my heart broken in
      > political love
      > affairs more times than I can count, but somehow
      > this one feels like a
      > keeper.
      >
      > I call for Al Gore to run for president in 2008.
      >
      > He is, within the limitations of the possible,
      > precisely what America
      > requires in this hour of need, and perhaps just what
      > American
      > progressivism requires as well.
      >
      > The rap on Gore is as long as it is broadly known,
      > so there's no use
      > reiterating all his failings as a politician.
      > Besides, some of these
      > accusations were always just plain unfair. While he
      > admittedly
      > electrified no one in 2000, I think many of the
      > charges against him
      > regarding, for example, strategic decisions made in
      > that campaign, are
      > unwarranted. Given the conditions under which he
      > ran, and given his
      > political commitments at the time, I would have
      > advised many of the
      > same choices.
      >
      > My biggest complaint against Gore has always been
      > his politics, not
      > his personality or his reputed woodenness as a
      > candidate (another
      > exaggerated accusation, I'd say). If, like me, you
      > wanted your
      > Democratic nominee to have the politics of an FDR or
      > a Paul Wellstone,
      > in Al Gore you got instead a Joe Lieberman - that
      > is, essentially
      > moderate conservatism masked as centrism. Like Bill
      > Clinton, minus the
      > charisma.
      >
      > But that was the old Al. If you've been following
      > the guy over the
      > last couple of years you know that what has emerged
      > is not just a new
      > politician with a new political incarnation, but
      > something bigger than
      > that, what I take to be a truly new man. Or, perhaps
      > more accurately,
      > the original man, now unpackaged.
      >
      > Of course, this was precisely the central complaint
      > about the old Gore
      > - that he kept remaking himself so many times that
      > you never knew who
      > he was. And who wants a politician who is just a
      > chameleon, constantly
      > prostituting himself by pandering for every possible
      > vote? But, again,
      > I always believed that this charge was more clever
      > and effective
> [...]
      === message truncated ===