Strategies for '06

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2005
      From the Washington Post this morning:

      Democratic strategy:

      Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack (D) said there is an important
      lesson for Democrats in the Virginia results, arguing
      that Kaine turned the campaign in his direction by
      persuasively linking his opposition to the death
      penalty to his religious faith.

      "If you have the luxury of running in New York or
      California, you might run a different campaign," he
      said. "But if you run in most of the swing states, for
      every progressive voter there are probably two swing
      voters. You've got to appeal to the moderate voters.
      Swing voters do not respond well to partisanship and
      to negative campaigning. What they're really looking
      for are people with integrity and people trying to
      solve their problems."

      Repubicans:

      One strategist said that, given the mood of voters,
      Republicans escaped a much worse outcome Tuesday, but
      he was gloomy about what the GOP can do next.

      "We're tapped out on taxes," he said, asking not to be
      identified to offer a more candid analysis. "We failed
      on Social Security. We're nowhere on health care.
      Medicare didn't do it. The war's not going well. The
      economy's in fact going well, but we're not getting
      credit for it."

      I don't think the Republicans get it. The economy is
      doing great for the fat cats, but the average voter is
      not seeing it.
      I liked what I heard from Democratic party chair
      Howard Dean last night on Cspan.. He said that the
      Dems owned 8 out of 10 commonly held values (i.e.
      helping the poor) and that would be part of the
      strategy in '06.

      http://thinkprogress.org/2005/10/28/addington-involved-in-leak-scandal/

      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1151AP_What_Next_Libby_Replacement.html

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM