Re: first time in history?

  • tonymaloley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2004
      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon
      <gregcannon1@y...> wrote:
      > The Illinois Republican Party has picked Alan Keyes as
      > its candidate for senator. I suspect this is the first
      > time that the Republicans and Democrats have both
      > nominated African-Americans for the same senate seat.
      >
      > More about their picking Keyes at
      http://www.illinoisleader.com/quote/quoteview.asp?c=18241

      AAH! Sorry, you startled me with the name Alan Keyes. That guy
      makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. See far far ultra
      right wing wacko.

      But to the topic at hand, if you had some time, you might look at
      some of the first members of Congress from reconstructed southern
      states in the 1860's, as I recall the events of the time led to a
      temporary rush of black leadership.