Democrats Win Gov. Races in N.J., Va.

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
      This means that Corzine, once inaugurated as New
      Jersey's new governor, will get to name his own
      replacement (who will then have to run for re-election
      next year). I've read there's been quite a lot of
      competition for the job, and the two talked up as most
      likely are current Acting Governor Codey and
      Congressman Menendez.

      http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051109/D8DOM65GE.html

      Democrats Win Gov. Races in N.J., Va.

      Nov 8, 9:46 PM (ET)

      By ROBERT TANNER

      Democrats swept both governors' races Tuesday, with
      Sen. Jon Corzine easily winning New Jersey and Lt.
      Gov. Tim Kaine taking Virginia despite a last-minute
      campaign push for his opponent from President Bush.

      In Texas, voters overwhelmingly approved a
      constitutional ban on gay marriage, while Republican
      Mayor Mike Bloomberg surged ahead in his bid for a
      second term in heavily Democratic New York. Voters
      also picked mayors in Detroit, Houston, San Diego and
      Boston.

      Kaine had 860,719 votes, or 51 percent, to Kilgore's
      789,273 votes, or 46.8 percent, with 88 percent of
      precincts reporting.

      In New Jersey, Democratic Sen. Jon Corzine trounced
      Doug Forrester, pulling in 54 percent of the vote to
      the Republican's 42.8 percent, with 55 percent of
      precincts counted. Corzine had 605,915 votes, and
      Forrester had 480,477.

      In California, several government-overhaul measures on
      the ballot were seen as a referendum on GOP Gov.
      Arnold Schwarzenegger, who campaigned hard for them.
    • Gregory
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
        From The New York Times

        November 9, 2005

        Editorial

        Last Night's Results
        A year ago, George W. Bush said the voters of America had given him
        political capital that he intended to spend pursuing his agenda.
        While it's always dangerous to read national lessons into local
        elections, everyone from political consultants to the leaders of
        countries in the remote corners of Asia and Africa are going to
        assume the same thing from the results of yesterday's balloting: Mr.
        Bush's political capital has turned into a deficit.

        The election of Lt. Gov. Tim Kaine in Virginia was a surprise.
        Virginia has a Democratic governor now, but in national politics it
        is a safe Republican state. President Bush made a much-publicized
        last-minute campaign stop there to stump for the Republican, Jerry
        Kilgore. Everyone who has to make a decision about next year's
        Congressional elections - from promising candidates who are mulling
        whether to listen to their party's pleas to run to campaign donors -
        are reading bad omens for the Republicans into what happened after
        Mr. Bush left.

        All that could easily change. Mr. Bush could be the catalyst for
        change, if he had the flexibility and imagination to read the
        nation's mood. Whenever this president has gotten into trouble in the
        past, he has reflexively turned to his right-wing base, or his trump
        issue of antiterrorism and homeland security. That isn't working now.
        In Mr. Bush's last crisis, over Hurricane Katrina, he made a
        desperate grab for popularity in the form of sweeping promises of
        enormous spending to rebuild New Orleans - promises that frightened
        his party. He is already in the process of backtracking on them.

        The current president followed his father's political career
        attentively, and drew the lesson that whenever the first President
        George Bush had problems at the polls, it was caused by a failure to
        pay sufficient attention to Republican conservatives, particularly
        the cultural right.

        This President Bush can't possible imagine that he has that problem.
        It certainly wasn't the problem in Virginia, where the Republican
        candidate ran a hard-right campaign. The issue right now is a
        national fear that the White House has no plan, and no capacity to
        carry one out even if it existed.

        The voters in Virginia had other things on their minds besides the
        White House, but they went to the polls with a sense of unease and
        dislocation that extended far beyond their state agendas. We're
        betting that had a lot to do with what happened last night. And we
        hope that Mr. Bush learns the right lesson from the results.

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
          I really hope that the slash and burn, take no
          prisoners campaigning is wearing thin with voters.
          Dragging out ex-wives and using Hitler in campaign ads
          didn't work this time and I'd sure like to think that
          it is a trend, even if it is impossible to tell at
          this point.

          Tom

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
            Tom, congratulations on your city's vote against
            Proposition 2. As far as I know Austin's the only town
            in Texas that went against it. I had hopes that El
            Paso would vote no too, since we nearly always vote
            Democratic, but it passed here too.

            === message truncated ===
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
              Thanks, Greg.. Was the margin close in El Paso?
              Incidentally, I heard that Scott McClellan said that
              yeasterday's election showed how out of touch the
              Democrats are. Scott may want to guess again about who
              is out of touch.

              === message truncated ===
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
                No it wasn't close at all here (though we had low turn
                out, 8%, which is low even for El Pasoans, who are
                notoriously apathetic about politics). The final
                result here was 68% to 32%, 19854 votes to 9309 votes.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
                  Kind of in line with the rest of the state.. I suspect
                  that the churches got the vote out ( bigotry and
                  hatred being part of what passes for Christian values
                  these days) and most people stayed home.