The Badge of Honor

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2005
      "Well, liberals ended slavery in this country. Liberals' got women the
      right to vote. Liberals' got African Americans the right to vote.
      Liberals' created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly
      people out of poverty. Liberals' ended segregation. Liberals' passed
      the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals' created
      Medicare. Liberals' passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act.
      What did the conservatives have to do? They opposed every single one
      of those things, every one. When you try to hurl that label at my feet
      as if it's something to run away from, I will pick up that label and
      wear it as a badge of honor." Matt Santos (D-TX), Democratic
      Presidential Nominee 2006 of the West Wing, 11/7/2005
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2005
        I think that episode was the smartest hour of TV drama
        I have ever seen but for my money, it was not the best
        thing on yesterday. Did anyone catch Doris Kearns
        Goodwin on Cspan II ? I saw all 3 hrs of it and it was
        fascinating. I was particularly struck by her comment
        that a large part of Lincoln's genius came from his
        ability to understand all sides of an issue. It seems
        to me that if everyone tried just a little bit harder
        in that regard, our nation would be so much healthier
        and would constitute a true act of patriotism.

        > "Well, liberals ended slavery in this country.
        > Liberals' got women the
        > right to vote. Liberals' got African Americans the
        > right to vote.
        > Liberals' created Social Security and lifted
        > millions of elderly
        > people out of poverty. Liberals' ended segregation.
        > Liberals' passed
        > the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act.
        > Liberals' created
        > Medicare. Liberals' passed the Clean Air Act, the
        > Clean Water Act.
        > What did the conservatives have to do? They opposed
        > every single one
        > of those things, every one. When you try to hurl
        > that label at my feet
        > as if it's something to run away from, I will pick
        > up that label and
        > wear it as a badge of honor." Matt Santos (D-TX),
        > Democratic
        > Presidential Nominee 2006 of the West Wing,
        > 11/7/2005

        > --------------------~-->
        > Yahoo! your home page

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM

      • Gregory
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2005
          I too enjoyed the West Wing debate but felt it lacked the punch it
          could have had. Too many stilted moments along the way. However I
          totally agree with your thoughts on trying to understand many sides
          of an issue.

          RN brought Arthur Burns and Dan Moynihan into his administration for
          several reasons, but truly enjoyed their ability to take on an issue
          from different perspectives and dissect it for further illumination.
          FDR loved to have broad ranging discussions with competing ideas
          while he served his terms in Washington.

          Presidents should not be isolated from thoughts even though they may
          be isolated in the White House for varying reasons. FDR's mobility
          issues never were a factor for limiting his curious mind, and today's
          leader has no excuses either. Except he lacks the "curious" gene.

          Gregory

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2005
            > I think that episode was the smartest hour of TV drama
            > I have ever seen but for my money, it was not the best
            > thing on yesterday. Did anyone catch Doris Kearns
            > Goodwin on Cspan II ? I saw all 3 hrs of it and it was
            > fascinating. I was particularly struck by her comment

            I saw most of it. Definitely fascinating. Will tape it down on the
            computer when they get the Real Video stream on the BookTV website.

            > that a large part of Lincoln's genius came from his
            > ability to understand all sides of an issue. It seems
            > to me that if everyone tried just a little bit harder
            > in that regard, our nation would be so much healthier
            > and would constitute a true act of patriotism.

            And to resonate Goodwin, Smits/Santos called him "A LIBERAL
            Republican" rightfully so in the debate. I think the American people
            badly deverse a lesson on who the liberals were and what they have
            done to make the country and the world a much better place. There is
            just too much "un-demonizing" to do.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2005
              > FDR loved to have broad ranging discussions with competing ideas
              > while he served his terms in Washington.

              The greatest Presidents will always be Washington, Lincoln, and
              Roosevelt. Some history just can't be repeated. Their times and events
              will always be remembered by mankind.

              There is only one FDR. The New Deal coalition was a miracle because he
              managed to unite the liberal North and the conservative South together
              in such a depressing era. He knew his limits and he tried to achieve
              everything he could within his reach (thus the silence on lynching,
              for example). Clinton came pretty close in this political shrewdness
              aspect. The more idealistic (and often more militant) contemporaries -
              the Henry Wallaces, the Bill Douglasses, the Paul Wellstones - just
              didn't have the same kind of skills to use their political assets.

              Having said all that, I doubt that FDR really wanted to listen to the
              Southern bumpkins though. But they controlled the Congress and broad
              ranging discussions became necessary.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2005
                I agree with everything both of you guys said and,
                further more, really appreciate the historical
                perspective that you bring to the discussions.
                I also agree that Bill Clinton showed glimpses of
                greatness by bring in Republicans David Gergen and
                William Cohen, but then I factor in Dick Morris and it
                goes down a few pegs.. I wouldn't want to argue that
                it didn't work, though.

                Tom