List of possible replacements for Libby

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2005
      According to Think Progress, one of these possible
      replacements, David Addington, is mentioned in Libby's
      indictment as being involved in the leak.
      http://thinkprogress.org/2005/10/28/addington-involved-in-leak-scandal/

      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1151AP_What_Next_Libby_Replacement.html

      Saturday, October 29, 2005 · Last updated 11:24 a.m.
      PT

      List of possible replacements for Libby

      By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

      Vice President Dick Cheney has just a few close
      advisers, inside and outside government, who are
      considered possibilities to replace chief of staff I.
      Lewis "Scooter" Libby. Libby resigned Friday after
      being indicted in the CIA leak investigation. Among
      those advisers are:

      -David Addington, a cautious and seasoned lawyer. He
      is the vice president's counsel and was a top aide to
      Cheney when Cheney was defense secretary.

      -Mary Matalin, Cheney's top public relations
      strategist during President Bush's first term. She has
      remained an informal adviser since leaving the White
      House to work as a private consultant.

      -Eric Edelman, U.S. ambassador to Turkey. He was
      Cheney's national security assistant from February
      2001 to June 2003 and worked closely with Libby when
      both were at the Pentagon earlier in their careers.

      -Dean McGrath, Cheney's deputy chief of staff. He has
      experience working throughout government including the
      Treasury, Transportation and Defense Departments, the
      Peace Corps and as a congressional staffer.

      -Steve Schmidt, whom Cheney hired after getting to
      know his work as a strategist in Bush's re-election
      campaign. Schmidt also helped John Roberts during
      Roberts' successful confirmation to be chief justice
      of the United States.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2005
        From the Washington Post this morning:

        Democratic strategy:

        Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack (D) said there is an important
        lesson for Democrats in the Virginia results, arguing
        that Kaine turned the campaign in his direction by
        persuasively linking his opposition to the death
        penalty to his religious faith.

        "If you have the luxury of running in New York or
        California, you might run a different campaign," he
        said. "But if you run in most of the swing states, for
        every progressive voter there are probably two swing
        voters. You've got to appeal to the moderate voters.
        Swing voters do not respond well to partisanship and
        to negative campaigning. What they're really looking
        for are people with integrity and people trying to
        solve their problems."

        Repubicans:

        One strategist said that, given the mood of voters,
        Republicans escaped a much worse outcome Tuesday, but
        he was gloomy about what the GOP can do next.

        "We're tapped out on taxes," he said, asking not to be
        identified to offer a more candid analysis. "We failed
        on Social Security. We're nowhere on health care.
        Medicare didn't do it. The war's not going well. The
        economy's in fact going well, but we're not getting
        credit for it."

        I don't think the Republicans get it. The economy is
        doing great for the fat cats, but the average voter is
        not seeing it.
        I liked what I heard from Democratic party chair
        Howard Dean last night on Cspan.. He said that the
        Dems owned 8 out of 10 commonly held values (i.e.
        helping the poor) and that would be part of the
        strategy in '06.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM