Touching words

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
      "Ultimately, the issue is whether America will provide global
      leadership that springs from the unity and integrity of the American
      people or whether extremist doctrines and the manipulation of truth
      will define America's role in the world.

      At stake is nothing less than our nation's soul. In a few months, I
      will, God willing, enter my 81st year of my life, and in many ways
      the last few months have been some of the most disturbing of all.
      But I am not discouraged. I do not despair for our country. I
      believe tonight, as I always have, that the essential decency,
      compassion and common sense of the American people will prevail."

      - Jimmy Carter, thanks God for Jimmy Carter
    • tonymaloley
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004

        > -Jimmy Carter, thanks God for Jimmy Carter

        Snicker, snicker :D Funny stuff.

        I never knew much about the Carter presidency until I saw a
        documentary on PBS recently. The most memorable thing in that
        program was when he tried to blame the national malaise on the
        American public, that if people were unhappy, it was their fault, and
        not the dismal economic conditions. Of course he said it in a much
        more diplomatic way, using some contemporary psycho-babble, but
        everybody and I mean EVERYBODY thought he was wrong to make that
        speech, including his own aides, who tried to stop him. It got him
        the worst approval ratings EVER, worse than Nixon.

        And little Tony used to wonder why Daddy called the President "Old
        Peanut-Butter Brains."
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
          I don't know much about the Carter presidency either, I missed it by
          just a couple of years. I remember hearing that he planned to legalize
          marijuana until a white house aide was caught with cocaine, so Carter
          backtracked on legalizing anything at all.
          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11, 2004
            Stocktraders refer the downtrend of a stock "a falling knife" and
            that's what the situation was like in 1976. I dare to say that
            Ronald Reagan wouldn't have done a much better job had he got
            elected that year.

            The seventies was just a shitty decade in most parts of the world.

            Ram
          • tonymaloley
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
              > Stocktraders refer the downtrend of a stock "a falling knife" and
              > that's what the situation was like in 1976. I dare to say that
              > Ronald Reagan wouldn't have done a much better job had he got
              > elected that year.

              Sadly, the current president usually gets too much credit or blame
              for economic conditions. The national economy has been compared to
              an ocean liner, it has an enormous momentum, takes a long time to
              speed up or slow down.
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
                > Sadly, the current president usually gets too much credit or blame
                > for economic conditions. The national economy has been compared

                But don't forget that the federal government has always been gaining
                more and more power, meaning that they do have more and more
                influence on the economy. Also, the President does have more control
                to the national economy and even the world economy because of
                globalization and international trade speeding up exponentially.

                The situation wasn't like that in 1976. But one thing for sure is
                that trickle-down economics is a scam and has never been recognized
                in academia. With $7,000,000,000,000 worth of national debt
                accumulated in just 25 years, Reagan and Bush II will be remembered
                as two most fiscally irresponsible Presidents 50 years from now.

                Ram
              • tonymaloley
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
                  > trickle-down economics is a scam and has never been recognized
                  > in academia. With $7,000,000,000,000 worth of national debt
                  > accumulated in just 25 years, Reagan and Bush II will be remembered
                  > as two most fiscally irresponsible Presidents 50 years from now.

                  7 trillion!!! This calls for a tax cut! No, wait, that would be
                  stupid...

                  It's amazing to me that some people think that lowering taxes is
                  always better. What do you get with zero taxes? Feudalism? Anarchy?
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
                    > It's amazing to me that some people think that lowering taxes is
                    > always better. What do you get with zero taxes? Feudalism?

                    Much, much worse has happened. It's called robbing you and the
                    future of the country and the world. The billionaires have become
                    the multi-billionaires as there are not hundreds of them. They are
                    pretty much controlling the whole world and transforming once-
                    regulated capitalism to a global slavery system of different degrees.

                    We are, however, very used to turning a blind eye on the little
                    girls who work till they literally puke their last drop of blood and
                    die in the 100-degree factories in Berma. Their lives are so cheap.