Miers Withdraws Nomination

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2005
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/27/AR2005102700547.html

      Miers Withdraws Nomination

      Associated Press
      Thursday, October 27, 2005; 8:58 AM

      WASHINGTON -- Harriet Miers withdrew her nomination to
      be a Supreme Court justice Thursday in the face of
      stiff opposition and mounting criticism about her
      qualifications.

      Bush said he reluctantly accepted her decision to
      withdraw, after weeks of insisting that he did not
      want her to step down. He blamed her withdrawal on
      calls in the Senate for the release of internal White
      House documents that the administration has insisted
      were protected by executive privilege.

      "It is clear that senators would not be satisfied
      until they gained access to internal documents
      concerning advice provided during her tenure at the
      White House -- disclosures that would undermine a
      president's ability to receive candid counsel," Bush
      said. "Harriet Miers' decision demonstrates her deep
      respect for this essential aspect of the
      constitutional separation of powers -- and confirms my
      deep respect and admiration for her."
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 27, 2005
        I started to like her after learning more about her - a pro-life
        centrist who would fit O'Connor's seat well, albeit her lack of legal
        knowledge. Too bad the Republican hypocrites took her down by using the
        lame reason of qualification. Dershowitz just said on Springer that he
        still remember how little Thomas's knowledge mattered during his
        confirmation.