Rosa Parks dead at 92

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24 9:25 PM

      US civil rights icon Parks dies

      Rosa Parks, the black woman whose 1955 protest action
      in Alabama marked the start of the modern US civil
      rights movement, has died at the age of 92.

      Mrs Parks' refusal to give up her seat to a white man
      on a bus led to a mass boycott of buses by black
      people.

      The protest led to the desegregation of the transport
      system and culminated in the 1964 Civil Rights Act,
      which outlawed race discrimination in the US.

      Mrs Parks' lawyer said she died in her sleep at her
      home in Detroit, Michigan.

      'I had a right'

      Rosa Parks was a 42-year-old seamstress when she made
      history.

      On 1 December she was sitting on the bus in Montgomery
      when the white man demanded her seat.

      Mrs Parks refused, defying the rules which required
      blacks to give up their seats to whites.

      She was arrested and fined $14.

      Her arrest triggered a 381-day boycott of the bus
      system organised by Baptist minister, the Rev Martin
      Luther King Jr.

      Luther King Jr later earned the Nobel Peace Prize for
      his work.

      In 1957, after having lost her job and received death
      threats, Mrs Parks and her husband, Raymond, moved to
      Detroit, where she worked as aide in a Democratic
      congressman's office.

      Speaking in 1992, Mrs Parks said of her famous bus
      protest: "The real reason of my not standing up was I
      felt that I had a right to be treated as any other
      passenger. We had endured that kind of treatment for
      too long."

      She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in
      1996, and the Congressional Gold Medal, the nation's
      highest civilian honour, three years later.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25 7:14 AM
        From the Washington Post this morning:

        A top State Department official involved in Iraq
        policy, former ambassador Robin Raphel, said the
        administration was "not prepared" when it invaded
        Iraq, but did so anyway in part because of "clear
        political pressure, election driven and calendar
        driven," according to an oral history interview posted
        on the Web site of the congressionally funded U.S.
        Institute of Peace.

        This is the first time I have heard an administration
        official admit that the Iraq invasion about Bush's
        re-election. Why is this not an above-the-fold
        headline in every newspaper in the country? I suspect
        for the same reason that the Downing Street memos went
        unreported for a month, until the bloggers made it
        impossible to ignore any further. Am I paranoid or is
        there something very, very wrong here?

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM