NY Times: Miller May Have Misled Editors

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2005
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051022/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/cia_leak_investigation;_ylt=AncVWRSN8Fl57ijQoxRr1YVH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

      Times: Miller May Have Misled Editors

      By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 28
      minutes ago

      WASHINGTON - Judith Miller's boss says the New York
      Times reporter appears to have misled the newspaper
      about her role in the CIA leak controversy.

      In an e-mail memo Friday to the newspaper's staff,
      Executive Editor Bill Keller said that until Special
      Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald subpoenaed Miller in the
      criminal probe, "I didn't know that Judy had been one
      of the reporters on the receiving end" of leaks aimed
      at Bush administration critic Joseph Wilson.

      "Judy seems to have misled" Times Washington bureau
      chief Bill Taubman about the extent of her
      involvement, Keller wrote.

      Taubman asked Miller in the fall of 2003 whether she
      was among the reporters who had gotten leaks about the
      identity of covert CIA officer Valerie Plame.

      "Ms. Miller denied it," the newspaper reported in a
      weekend story.

      Miller and Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of
      staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, discussed Wilson and
      his wife, Valerie Plame, in three conversations in the
      weeks before the CIA officer's status was outed by
      columnist Robert Novak.

      Keller said he might have been more willing to
      compromise with Fitzgerald over Miller's testimony "if
      I had known the details of Judy's entanglement with
      Libby."

      In response, Miller told the Times that Keller's memo
      was "seriously inaccurate," the newspaper said in a
      story for Saturday editions. It reported that in a
      memo to Keller, Miller wrote she "never meant to
      mislead Phil (Taubman), nor did I mislead him."

      As for Keller's remark about "my `entanglement' with
      Mr. Libby, I had no personal, social, or other
      relationship with him except as a source," Miller
      wrote.

      Miller's attorney, Bob Bennett, told The Washington
      Post that it was "absolutely false" to suggest she
      withheld information about a June 2003 meeting with
      Libby, saying the conversation hadn't seemed like "a
      big deal at the time."

      Responding to Keller's memo, Bennett said: "I am very
      concerned now that there are people trying to even old
      scores and undercut her as a heroic journalist."

      Bennett did not return calls by The Associated Press
      seeking comment.

      The criticism of the reporter came amid a sign that
      the prosecutor may be preparing indictments.
      Fitzgerald's office set up a Web site containing the
      record of the broad investigative mandate handed to
      him by the Justice Department at the outset of his
      investigation two years ago.

      Unlike some of his predecessors who operated under a
      law that has since expired, Fitzgerald does not need
      to write a final report, so he would not need a Web
      site for that purpose.

      The criticism of Miller emerged amid new details about
      how she belatedly turned over notes of a June 23,
      2003, conversation she had with Libby.

      In her first grand jury appearance Sept. 30 after
      being freed from prison for refusing to testify,
      Miller did not mention the meeting.

      She retrieved her notes about it only when prosecutors
      showed her White House visitor logs showing she had
      met with Libby in the Old Executive Office Building
      adjacent to the White House, said two lawyers,
      speaking on condition of anonymity because of the
      ongoing secrecy of the grand jury probe.

      One lawyer familiar with Miller's testimony said the
      reporter told prosecutors at first that she did not
      believe the June meeting would have involved Plame
      because she had just returned from covering the
      Iraq war. She said she was probably giving Libby an
      update of her experiences there, the lawyer said.

      However, in reviewing her notes, Miller discovered
      they indicated that Libby had given her information
      about Plame at that meeting. Fitzgerald then arranged
      for her to return to the grand jury to testify about
      it, the lawyers said.

      The evidence of that meeting has become important to
      the investigation because it indicates that Libby was
      passing information to reporters about Plame well
      before her husband went public with accusations that
      the Bush administration had twisted pre-war
      intelligence on Iraq.

      Libby and Bush political adviser Karl Rove have
      emerged as central figures in the probe because both
      had contacts with reporter who ultimately disclosed
      Plame's identity in news stories.

      Conflicts between presidential aides' testimony and
      other evidence could result in criminal charges. The
      grand jury investigating the matter for the last two
      years is set to expire next Friday.

      ___

      On the Web:

      http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/osc/index.html