first time in history?

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2004
      The Illinois Republican Party has picked Alan Keyes as
      its candidate for senator. I suspect this is the first
      time that the Republicans and Democrats have both
      nominated African-Americans for the same senate seat.

      More about their picking Keyes at http://www.illinoisleader.com/quote/quoteview.asp?c=18241
    • tonymaloley
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2004
        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon
        <gregcannon1@y...> wrote:
        > The Illinois Republican Party has picked Alan Keyes as
        > its candidate for senator. I suspect this is the first
        > time that the Republicans and Democrats have both
        > nominated African-Americans for the same senate seat.
        >
        > More about their picking Keyes at
        http://www.illinoisleader.com/quote/quoteview.asp?c=18241

        AAH! Sorry, you startled me with the name Alan Keyes. That guy
        makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. See far far ultra
        right wing wacko.

        But to the topic at hand, if you had some time, you might look at
        some of the first members of Congress from reconstructed southern
        states in the 1860's, as I recall the events of the time led to a
        temporary rush of black leadership.