Miers, Hecht, and Owen

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2005
      And now Miers, if confirmed, will probably be
      reviewing cases sent to her from whatever federal
      court Bush put Owen on, though there is possibly still
      some sort of bad blood between Miers and Owen.

      http://www.wonkette.com/politics/harriet-miers/special-report-harriet-and-nathan-and-priscilla-and-us-130136.php

      OCT 11 2005
      SPECIAL REPORT! Harriet and Nathan and Priscilla and
      Us

      Wonkette operatives have turned up an interesting
      fillip in the Harriet Miers-Nathan Hecht-Priscilla
      Owen bizarre love triangle: "The Harriet effect."
      Speaking of the mid-1990s , when Owen first joined
      Hecht on the Texas Supreme Court, our operative
      reports:
      If Owen and Hecht were at an event and Miers would
      show up, there were frequently scenes with Owen
      snarking at Hecht and stomping out, in full view of
      many, with Hecht left to calm [Owen] down. Some Texas
      judicial observers said you can actually chart the
      "Harriet fights" by the few times Owen and Hecht
      didn't vote the same way.Ah! Wrath of woman scorned
      and whatnot. Wonkette investigates --after the jump!

      Hecht's political alliance with Owen has been
      well-documented. In 1995, "Texas Lawyer" reported that
      Hetch and Owen campaigned for the Court together in
      1994, so much together "to the point that they refused
      to participate in a Texas Lawyer candidates roundtable
      unless both were present and their opponents were
      absent." After each gaining their seats, in 1995 they
      "voted together more than any other pair of justices,
      agreeing on the result in 91 percent of the court's
      decisions and sharing the same opinion 88 percent of
      the time."

      And what of the "Harriet effect"? Our Nexis skills are
      only as good as our hangover will allow, but we did
      discover that the Hecht-Owen alliance took a
      precipitous dive in the 1995-96 court year, with Owen
      agreeing with Hecht only 78 percent of the time,
      again, according to Texas Lawyer. Where was Harriet?
      Serving as chair of the Texas Lottery Commission (sez
      the WH) and lobbying Bush to veto a bill prohibiting
      the Texas courts from capping lawsuit awards (from
      AP). She would be spending an awful lot of time in
      Austin. . .

      By 2002, the Owen and Hecht seems to have smoothed
      things over or come to an "understanding" or reached
      cloture or something: The two voted together in 93
      percent of cases, forming a hard-right conservative
      bloc that has liberals in Texas tearing their hair out
      to this day. Happy ending, indeed. -- WONKETTE
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2005
        They just make fun of her all day, don't they? Those Goddamn liberal
        media elistists! I've had some good laughs though.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>