White House denies Bush claimed divine inspiration

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2005
      http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/07/051007131357.nstalu7a.html

      White House denies Bush claimed divine inspiration
      Oct 07 9:14 AM US/Eastern

      The White House has denied that US President George W.
      Bush said God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan,
      as a new BBC documentary is expected to reveal.

      "That's absurd. He's never made such comments," White
      House spokesman Scott McClellan said Thursday.

      The documentary series set to be broadcast later this
      month in Britain claims Bush made the claim when he
      met Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas and then-foreign
      minister Nabil Shaath in June 2003.

      He also told them he had been ordered by God to create
      a Palestinian state, the ministers said.

      Shaath, now the Palestinian information minister,
      said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven
      with a mission from God'".

      "'God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those
      terrorists in Afghanistan'.

      "'And I did. And then God would tell me, 'George, go
      and end the tyranny in Iraq... ' And I did.

      "'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go
      get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis
      their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And
      by God I'm gonna do it'," said Shaath.

      Abbas, who was also at the meeting in the Egyptian
      resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, recalled how the president
      told him: "'I have a moral and religious obligation'".

      "'So I will get you a Palestinian state.'"

      The three-part series, "Elusive Peace: Israel and the
      Arabs", charts the attempts to bring peace to the
      Middle East, from former US president Bill Clinton's
      talks in 1999-2000 to Israel's withdrawal from the
      Gaza strip.

      The series is due to begin airing Monday.