Trent Lott: 'Not comfortable' with Miers' nomination

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9598551/

      Lott: 'Not comfortable' with Miers' nomination
      Miss. Senator says he'll need more information before
      supporting nominee

      Updated: 11:34 a.m. ET Oct. 5, 2005

      Add Senator Trent Lott (R-Miss.) to the list of
      Republicans not entirely pleased with President Bush's
      nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

      Lott, appearing on MSNBC-TV on Wednesday morning, told
      anchor Randy Meier that wants more information about
      Miers.

      "I need to know a lot more about her, her experience
      and her level of competence and what is her
      philosophy. I really don't know this lady and I do
      think I owe it to my constituents and to my own
      conscience to do due diligence and find out actually
      who this person is," he said.

      His first impression, however, was not a positive one.

      "I don't just automatically salute or take a deep bow
      anytime a nominee is sent up," he said. "I have to
      find out who these people are, and right now, I'm not
      satisfied with what I know. I'm not comfortable with
      the nomination, so we'll just have to work through the
      process in due time."

      Lott said while Miers may be qualified, she is
      "clearly" not the most qualified person for the job.

      "There are a lot more people - men, women and
      minorities - that are more qualified in my opinion by
      their experience than she is," he said.

      With all that in mind, Lott said he isn't ready to
      take President Bush's suggestion that she has the same
      judicial philosophy as he does.

      "I have a lot of confidence in this president. I do
      think he has picked some really good nominees and like
      all of us, we make mistakes now and then, and it's our
      responsibility under the constitution in the Senate to
      review this nominee," Lott said.

      "He's not the nominee, and it's not enough to just say
      'Trust me.'"