letter to the kerry campaign

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
      friends, if you feel like copying this letter or
      writing one of your own you can send it to his
      campaign at
      http://www.johnkerry.com/contact/involved.php

      Dear Senator Kerry,
      I write to you to try to convince you that the troops
      need to leave Iraq much sooner than you're planning.
      For a long time I've been saying the troops ought to
      stay till Iraq is stable. Lately I've started to
      realize that it will never be stable as long as
      they're there. The troops' presence, and the actions
      some of them take, is the main reason many Iraqis are
      acting violently against them. The troops are also
      what's attracting foreign terrorists to Iraq: instead
      of terrorists coming to America to kill Americans the
      terrorists can go kill Americans in Iraq, which is
      much closer and easier to enter.
      So, to me, the only reasonable solution is for the
      American troops to leave. Either now or after the
      election planned in January. If an elected Iraqi
      government asked them to stay, I might reconsider my
      position.
      Senator Kerry, many people are voting for you because
      we oppose unjust wars. We've been protesting on the
      streets the last two years, as you used to do during
      another unjust war. We are willing to forgive your
      votes for the war and the Patriot Act because you were
      likely given wrong information. But if you keep the
      troops in Iraq too long or engage in more unjust wars,
      you will not have our vote in 2008. Thanks for your
      time.
      Greg Cannon
      El Paso, Texas
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
        http://www.johnkerry.com/contact/contact.php is the right one
        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
          I think a more important letter to be sent is the one that goes to
          Zell Miller's office. He has done the worst thing that he could ever
          have done to his party and to his people.

          He fails to see that the whole world has always been moving towards
          a more tolerant and inclusive society, even before Galileo was
          persecuted. In his static worldview, anti-lynching and supporting
          interracial marriage are still very liberal ideas.

          I hope that old man and Ralph Nader will finally wake up before more
          damage is done.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
            Ram, I haven't been paying much attention to Miller though I have
            heard he's missing a few marbles. What in particular has he done?

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
              He's gotten on every single political show on national TV to bash
              Kerry (for "flip-flopping") and tell people that there are many
              Democrats in Georgia who will vote for Bush again.

              So he will give a primetime speech at the RNC later and do more
              campaigning for Bush.

              Ram
            • tonymaloley
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16, 2004
                Nice letter. It reminded me of something I saw on "This Week With
                George Stephanopalous." At the end of the show, they play some
                comedy clips of the past week, relating to the news. They played one
                from the Daily Show, where Jon Stewart showed a clip (a clip in a
                clip!) of Bush saying something about Kerry authorizing force in
                Iraq, and trying to say he would flip-flop if that vote was today;
                Bush essentially using a weak argument to try to make Kerry look bad.

                STEWART: But this gives John Kerry an opportunity -- an easy
                opportunity to set himself apart, to make a clear, forceful,
                unambiguous statement: No, I would not have voted for the authority
                knowing there were no WMDs or just don't take the bait.
                (pause, speaking into the camera) Mr. Kerry, it's a softball. Hit it
                out of the park.

                KERRY (clip from a speech): I would have voted for the authority.

                STEWART: You're trying to lose!!!