GOP Bennett’s remarks on blacks, crime stir outrage

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
      I will not even comment at this time as I am just outraged! How can
      anyone who has been in the eye of the media and public events be so
      tone deaf? Or was he hoping to take some heat of of Tom Delay and
      take "one for the ethicless team?"

      America needs to clean up the dirty mess that Bush brought to
      Washington and send the whole bunch back for more de-tox. I am so
      perplexed how this ilk can even open their mouths about Democrats
      after such a week as they have had!

      Read the following....

      Addressing a caller's suggestion that the "lost revenue from the
      people who have been aborted in the last 30 years" would be enough to
      preserve Social Security's solvency, radio host and former Reagan
      administration Secretary of Education Bill Bennett dismissed
      such "far-reaching, extensive extrapolations" by declaring that
      if "you wanted to reduce crime ... if that were your sole purpose,
      you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate
      would go down." Bennett conceded that aborting all African-American
      babies "would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible
      thing to do," then added again, "but the crime rate would go down."

      Bennett's remark was apparently inspired by the claim that legalized
      abortion has reduced crime rates, which was posited in the book
      Freakonomics (William Morrow, May 2005) by Steven D. Levitt and
      Stephen J. Dubner. But Levitt and Dubner argued that aborted fetuses
      would have been more likely to grow up poor and in single-parent or
      teenage-parent households and therefore more likely to commit crimes;
      they did not put forth Bennett's race-based argument.

      GOP Bennett's remarks on blacks, crime stir outrage
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
        Are we supposed to be shocked/surprised? I wonder why Trent Lott is so
        popular in the South. I mean... haven't we gotten used to these kind
        of stuff after 40 years of racist legacy of the Republican Party long ago?

        I wonder why people are so mad when the Republicans start showing
        their true selves.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
          It didn't surprise me a bit. BTW, Bennet claims to
          have dated Janis Joplin when he was grad student at
          the University of Texas @ Austin in the sixties. Upon
          hearing this about 15 years ago, I gave up alcohol and
          all psychotropic agents in an effort to remain alert
          at all times. The world had suddenly become a far more
          unpredictable place than I had ever imagined.

          ---------------------------------
          Are we supposed to be shocked/surprised? I wonder why
          Trent Lott is so
          popular in the South. I mean... haven't we gotten used
          to these kind
          of stuff after 40 years of racist legacy of the
          Republican Party long ago?

          I wonder why people are so mad when the Republicans
          start showing
          their true selves.

          Terms of Service.