a few more thought on Tom Delay

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
      Although Tom Delay is from Houston, he was indicted in
      Travis County (Austin) because the state capitol is
      here. The prosecutor is Ronnie Earle, a Democrat, but
      hardly the "partisan fanatic" that Delay calls him. He
      has brought charges against 15 major Texas political
      figures during his career and 12 of them were
      Democrats.
      In 2004, Delay won re-election by only 52% from a
      weak,unknown, under-financed opponent. Ex- US Rep.
      Nick Lampson (D-TX) was one of 5 casualties of Delay's
      off year redistricting plan in 2003 and has since
      moved into Delay's district to challenge him in 2006.
      In my opinion, Delay may be the most ruthless figure
      in US politics right now and will not go quietly.

      ---------------------------------
      How do your neighbors react to his indictment?
      Probably lots of
      sympathy for him?

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON
      <AVRCRDNG@F...>
      wrote:
      > Not to mention treasonous acts under investigation
      in

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/ap_on_go_co/frist_stock;_ylt=AuNfWBVN6Y3EpVHKTfaFBGYGw_IE;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NGRzMjRtBHNlYwMxNjk5

      > > SEC Upgrades Sen. Frist Stock Inquiry
      > >
      > > By MARCY GORDON, AP Business Writer 1 hour, 18
      > minutes
      > > ago
      > >
      > > WASHINGTON - The
      > > Securities and Exchange Commission, which is
      > examining
      > > a stock sale by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist,
      > has
      > > upgraded its initial informal inquiry to a formal
      > > investigation.
      > >
      > > The change means the agency can issue subpoenas
      for
      > > documents rather than just requesting them.
      Federal
      > > prosecutors also are investigating the Tennessee
      > > Republican's recent sale of stock in HCA Inc.
      about
      > > two weeks before its price dropped. Frist's family
      > > founded the big hospital operating company.
      > >
      > > The SEC has made the investigation formal, a
      person
      > > familiar with the matter said Wednesday, speaking
      on
      > > condition of anonymity because the agency does not
      > > comment publicly on its inquiries.
      > >
      > > It is customary in potential cases of insider
      > trading
      > > for the agency to initiate a formal inquiry so
      > > investigators can obtain telephone and financial
      > > records and other documents.
      > >
      > > "We're going to cooperate with them every step of
      > the
      > > way. This is a usual step in inquiries of this
      > > nature," Frist spokesman Bob Stevenson said. Asked
      > > whether any subpoenas had been issued to the
      > majority
      > > leader's office, he said, "I can't get into that
      > right
      > > now."
      > >
      > > Already, Nashville, Tenn.-based HCA has said it
      has
      > > received a subpoena from the office of the U.S.
      > > Attorney in Manhattan asking for documents the
      > company
      > > believes are related to Frist's sale of company
      > stock.
      > > Frist's office said prosecutors and SEC
      > investigators
      > > had contacted the senator's office about the sale.
      > >
      > > Frist ordered the stock sold from several blind
      > trusts
      > > this summer, about two weeks before HCA issued a
      > > disappointing earnings forecast that drove its
      share
      > > price down almost 16 percent by mid-July.
      > >
      > > He sold the stock at a time when top executives
      and
      > > directors of HCA — including the chief executive
      and
      > > the treasurer — also were selling off shares worth
      > > total of $112 million. Aides to the majority
      leader,
      > > who is widely considered a potential presidential
      > > candidate in 2008, say he ordered his trustee to
      > sell
      > > his shares to avoid any appearance of a conflict
      of
      > > interest.
      > >
      > > The new SEC chairman, former Rep. Christopher Cox
      > > (news, bio, voting record), on Monday said that to
      > > avoid a potential conflict he will take no part in
      > the
      > > agency's investigation. Cox was a member of the
      > > Republican leadership in Congress with Frist.
      > >
      > > Frist has hired two private attorneys who
      specialize
      > > in securities litigation and insider trading
      cases:
      > > William McLucas, a former SEC enforcement
      director,
      > > and Harry Weiss, a former SEC attorney who was a
      > > co-author of a text titled "Preventing Insider
      > > Trading." Their representation of Frist was
      > confirmed
      > > by their law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale
      and
      > > Dorr.
      > >
      > > ___
      > >
      > > Associated Press writer Jonathan M. Katz in
      > Washington
      > > contributed to this report.
      > >
      > > On the Net:
      > >
      > > Securities and Exchange Commission: