Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: SEC Upgrades Sen. Frist Stock Inquiry

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
      Not to mention treasonous acts under investigation in
      the White House.
      Delay was indicted in my county in TX.

      ---------------------------------
      Both Houses are on fire. Jon Stewart must have a lot
      to say in these days.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon
      <gregcannon1@y...>
      wrote:

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/ap_on_go_co/frist_stock;_ylt=AuNfWBVN6Y3EpVHKTfaFBGYGw_IE;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NGRzMjRtBHNlYwMxNjk5

      > SEC Upgrades Sen. Frist Stock Inquiry
      >
      > By MARCY GORDON, AP Business Writer 1 hour, 18
      minutes
      > ago
      >
      > WASHINGTON - The
      > Securities and Exchange Commission, which is
      examining
      > a stock sale by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist,
      has
      > upgraded its initial informal inquiry to a formal
      > investigation.
      >
      > The change means the agency can issue subpoenas for
      > documents rather than just requesting them. Federal
      > prosecutors also are investigating the Tennessee
      > Republican's recent sale of stock in HCA Inc. about
      > two weeks before its price dropped. Frist's family
      > founded the big hospital operating company.
      >
      > The SEC has made the investigation formal, a person
      > familiar with the matter said Wednesday, speaking on
      > condition of anonymity because the agency does not
      > comment publicly on its inquiries.
      >
      > It is customary in potential cases of insider
      trading
      > for the agency to initiate a formal inquiry so
      > investigators can obtain telephone and financial
      > records and other documents.
      >
      > "We're going to cooperate with them every step of
      the
      > way. This is a usual step in inquiries of this
      > nature," Frist spokesman Bob Stevenson said. Asked
      > whether any subpoenas had been issued to the
      majority
      > leader's office, he said, "I can't get into that
      right
      > now."
      >
      > Already, Nashville, Tenn.-based HCA has said it has
      > received a subpoena from the office of the U.S.
      > Attorney in Manhattan asking for documents the
      company
      > believes are related to Frist's sale of company
      stock.
      > Frist's office said prosecutors and SEC
      investigators
      > had contacted the senator's office about the sale.
      >
      > Frist ordered the stock sold from several blind
      trusts
      > this summer, about two weeks before HCA issued a
      > disappointing earnings forecast that drove its share
      > price down almost 16 percent by mid-July.
      >
      > He sold the stock at a time when top executives and
      > directors of HCA — including the chief executive and
      > the treasurer — also were selling off shares worth a
      > total of $112 million. Aides to the majority leader,
      > who is widely considered a potential presidential
      > candidate in 2008, say he ordered his trustee to
      sell
      > his shares to avoid any appearance of a conflict of
      > interest.
      >
      > The new SEC chairman, former Rep. Christopher Cox
      > (news, bio, voting record), on Monday said that to
      > avoid a potential conflict he will take no part in
      the
      > agency's investigation. Cox was a member of the
      > Republican leadership in Congress with Frist.
      >
      > Frist has hired two private attorneys who specialize
      > in securities litigation and insider trading cases:
      > William McLucas, a former SEC enforcement director,
      > and Harry Weiss, a former SEC attorney who was a
      > co-author of a text titled "Preventing Insider
      > Trading." Their representation of Frist was
      confirmed
      > by their law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and
      > Dorr.
      >
      > ___
      >
      > Associated Press writer Jonathan M. Katz in
      Washington

      http://www.sec.gov

      > Hospital Corp. of America Inc.:
      http://www.hcainc.com

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
        How do your neighbors react to his indictment? Probably lots of
        sympathy for him?

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@F...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
          You'd think that people might be sympathetic, but I'm
          in Austin, which is one of the best educated cities in
          the country, and a progressive bastion in a sea of
          red. What Delay did here was gerrymander our city and
          as a result our excellent congressman Lloyd Dogget
          had to run in a new district, most of which is well
          out this county. The suburbs and some of the
          surrounding towns are Republican, but Austin itself
          is about as solidly Democratic as you get. Most of
          feel that Delay is the personification of what is
          wrong with politics. Incidentally, historian HW Brand
          lives here.

          ---------------------------------

          wrote:
> [...]
          > > (news, bio, voting record), on Monday said that to
          > > avoid a potential conflict he will take no part in
          > the
          > > agency's investigation. Cox was a member of the
          > > Republican leadership in Congress with Frist.
          > >
          > > Frist has hired two private attorneys who
          specialize
          > > in securities litigation and insider trading
          cases:
          > > William McLucas, a former SEC enforcement
          director,
          > > and Harry Weiss, a former SEC attorney who was a
          > > co-author of a text titled "Preventing Insider
          > > Trading." Their representation of Frist was
          > confirmed
          > > by their law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale
          and
          > > Dorr.
          > >
          > > ___
          > >
          > > Associated Press writer Jonathan M. Katz in

          Yahoo!
          > Terms of Service.

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
            Although Tom Delay is from Houston, he was indicted in
            Travis County (Austin) because the state capitol is
            here. The prosecutor is Ronnie Earle, a Democrat, but
            hardly the "partisan fanatic" that Delay calls him. He
            has brought charges against 15 major Texas political
            figures during his career and 12 of them were
            Democrats.
            In 2004, Delay won re-election by only 52% from a
            weak,unknown, under-financed opponent. Ex- US Rep.
            Nick Lampson (D-TX) was one of 5 casualties of Delay's
            off year redistricting plan in 2003 and has since
            moved into Delay's district to challenge him in 2006.
            In my opinion, Delay may be the most ruthless figure
            in US politics right now and will not go quietly.

            ---------------------------------

            wrote:
> [...]
            > > (news, bio, voting record), on Monday said that to
            > > avoid a potential conflict he will take no part in
            > the
            > > agency's investigation. Cox was a member of the
            > > Republican leadership in Congress with Frist.
            > >
            > > Frist has hired two private attorneys who
            specialize
            > > in securities litigation and insider trading
            cases:
            > > William McLucas, a former SEC enforcement
            director,
            > > and Harry Weiss, a former SEC attorney who was a
            > > co-author of a text titled "Preventing Insider
            > > Trading." Their representation of Frist was
            > confirmed
            > > by their law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale
            and
            > > Dorr.
            > >
            > > ___
            > >
            > > Associated Press writer Jonathan M. Katz in

            Yahoo!
            > Terms of Service.

            Terms of Service.