SEC Upgrades Sen. Frist Stock Inquiry

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/ap_on_go_co/frist_stock;_ylt=AuNfWBVN6Y3EpVHKTfaFBGYGw_IE;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NGRzMjRtBHNlYwMxNjk5

      SEC Upgrades Sen. Frist Stock Inquiry

      By MARCY GORDON, AP Business Writer 1 hour, 18 minutes
      ago

      WASHINGTON - The
      Securities and Exchange Commission, which is examining
      a stock sale by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, has
      upgraded its initial informal inquiry to a formal
      investigation.

      The change means the agency can issue subpoenas for
      documents rather than just requesting them. Federal
      prosecutors also are investigating the Tennessee
      Republican's recent sale of stock in HCA Inc. about
      two weeks before its price dropped. Frist's family
      founded the big hospital operating company.

      The SEC has made the investigation formal, a person
      familiar with the matter said Wednesday, speaking on
      condition of anonymity because the agency does not
      comment publicly on its inquiries.

      It is customary in potential cases of insider trading
      for the agency to initiate a formal inquiry so
      investigators can obtain telephone and financial
      records and other documents.

      "We're going to cooperate with them every step of the
      way. This is a usual step in inquiries of this
      nature," Frist spokesman Bob Stevenson said. Asked
      whether any subpoenas had been issued to the majority
      leader's office, he said, "I can't get into that right
      now."

      Already, Nashville, Tenn.-based HCA has said it has
      received a subpoena from the office of the U.S.
      Attorney in Manhattan asking for documents the company
      believes are related to Frist's sale of company stock.
      Frist's office said prosecutors and SEC investigators
      had contacted the senator's office about the sale.

      Frist ordered the stock sold from several blind trusts
      this summer, about two weeks before HCA issued a
      disappointing earnings forecast that drove its share
      price down almost 16 percent by mid-July.

      He sold the stock at a time when top executives and
      directors of HCA — including the chief executive and
      the treasurer — also were selling off shares worth a
      total of $112 million. Aides to the majority leader,
      who is widely considered a potential presidential
      candidate in 2008, say he ordered his trustee to sell
      his shares to avoid any appearance of a conflict of
      interest.

      The new SEC chairman, former Rep. Christopher Cox
      (news, bio, voting record), on Monday said that to
      avoid a potential conflict he will take no part in the
      agency's investigation. Cox was a member of the
      Republican leadership in Congress with Frist.

      Frist has hired two private attorneys who specialize
      in securities litigation and insider trading cases:
      William McLucas, a former SEC enforcement director,
      and Harry Weiss, a former SEC attorney who was a
      co-author of a text titled "Preventing Insider
      Trading." Their representation of Frist was confirmed
      by their law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and
      Dorr.

      ___

      Associated Press writer Jonathan M. Katz in Washington
      contributed to this report.

      On the Net:

      Securities and Exchange Commission: http://www.sec.gov

      Hospital Corp. of America Inc.: http://www.hcainc.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
        Both Houses are on fire. Jon Stewart must have a lot to say in these days.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
          Not to mention treasonous acts under investigation in
          the White House.
          Delay was indicted in my county in TX.

          ---------------------------------

          wrote:

> [...]
          > his shares to avoid any appearance of a conflict of
          > interest.
          >
          > The new SEC chairman, former Rep. Christopher Cox
          > (news, bio, voting record), on Monday said that to
          > avoid a potential conflict he will take no part in
          the
          > agency's investigation. Cox was a member of the
          > Republican leadership in Congress with Frist.
          >
          > Frist has hired two private attorneys who specialize
          > in securities litigation and insider trading cases:
          > William McLucas, a former SEC enforcement director,
          > and Harry Weiss, a former SEC attorney who was a
          > co-author of a text titled "Preventing Insider
          > Trading." Their representation of Frist was
          confirmed
          > by their law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and
          > Dorr.
          >
          > ___
          >
          > Associated Press writer Jonathan M. Katz in

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
            How do your neighbors react to his indictment? Probably lots of
            sympathy for him?

            Ram

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@F...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
              You'd think that people might be sympathetic, but I'm
              in Austin, which is one of the best educated cities in
              the country, and a progressive bastion in a sea of
              red. What Delay did here was gerrymander our city and
              as a result our excellent congressman Lloyd Dogget
              had to run in a new district, most of which is well
              out this county. The suburbs and some of the
              surrounding towns are Republican, but Austin itself
              is about as solidly Democratic as you get. Most of
              feel that Delay is the personification of what is
              wrong with politics. Incidentally, historian HW Brand
              lives here.

              ---------------------------------

              wrote:
> [...]
              > > (news, bio, voting record), on Monday said that to
              > > avoid a potential conflict he will take no part in
              > the
              > > agency's investigation. Cox was a member of the
              > > Republican leadership in Congress with Frist.
              > >
              > > Frist has hired two private attorneys who
              specialize
              > > in securities litigation and insider trading
              cases:
              > > William McLucas, a former SEC enforcement
              director,
              > > and Harry Weiss, a former SEC attorney who was a
              > > co-author of a text titled "Preventing Insider
              > > Trading." Their representation of Frist was
              > confirmed
              > > by their law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale
              and
              > > Dorr.
              > >
              > > ___
              > >
              > > Associated Press writer Jonathan M. Katz in

              Yahoo!
              > Terms of Service.

              Terms of Service.

              ---------------------------------
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
                Although Tom Delay is from Houston, he was indicted in
                Travis County (Austin) because the state capitol is
                here. The prosecutor is Ronnie Earle, a Democrat, but
                hardly the "partisan fanatic" that Delay calls him. He
                has brought charges against 15 major Texas political
                figures during his career and 12 of them were
                Democrats.
                In 2004, Delay won re-election by only 52% from a
                weak,unknown, under-financed opponent. Ex- US Rep.
                Nick Lampson (D-TX) was one of 5 casualties of Delay's
                off year redistricting plan in 2003 and has since
                moved into Delay's district to challenge him in 2006.
                In my opinion, Delay may be the most ruthless figure
                in US politics right now and will not go quietly.

                ---------------------------------

                wrote:
> [...]
                > > (news, bio, voting record), on Monday said that to
                > > avoid a potential conflict he will take no part in
                > the
                > > agency's investigation. Cox was a member of the
                > > Republican leadership in Congress with Frist.
                > >
                > > Frist has hired two private attorneys who
                specialize
                > > in securities litigation and insider trading
                cases:
                > > William McLucas, a former SEC enforcement
                director,
                > > and Harry Weiss, a former SEC attorney who was a
                > > co-author of a text titled "Preventing Insider
                > > Trading." Their representation of Frist was
                > confirmed
                > > by their law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale
                and
                > > Dorr.
                > >
                > > ___
                > >
                > > Associated Press writer Jonathan M. Katz in

                Yahoo!
                > Terms of Service.

                Terms of Service.