National publication reports Bush doing shots again.

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2005
      Now this may be a cheap shot, but as a former broadcaster I think
      that the fact this was even printed in a national publication, which
      is prone to public backlash, makes this a news story.

      You know you're in trouble when the National Enquirer goes after you.

      They're sleezy, they're seedy, and they pay for news tips, but many
      times they are correct. And for the most part they have been hard on
      Democrats. Looks like the tide is turning.

      BUSH'S BOOZE CRISIS

      By JENNIFER LUCE and DON GENTILE

      Faced with the biggest crisis of his political life, President Bush
      has hit the bottle again, The National Enquirer can reveal.

      Bush, who said he quit drinking the morning after his 40th birthday,
      has started boozing amid the Katrina catastrophe.

      Family sources have told how the 59-year-old president was caught by
      First Lady Laura downing a shot of booze at their family ranch in
      Crawford, Texas, when he learned of the hurricane disaster.

      His worried wife yelled at him: "Stop, George."

      Following the shocking incident, disclosed here for the first time,
      Laura privately warned her husband against "falling off the wagon"
      and vowed to travel with him more often so that she can keep an eye
      on Dubya, the sources add.

      "When the levees broke in New Orleans, it apparently made him reach
      for a shot," said one insider. "He poured himself a Texas-sized shot
      of straight whiskey and tossed it back. The First Lady was shocked
      and shouted: "Stop George!"

      "Laura gave him an ultimatum before, 'It's Jim Beam or me.' She
      doesn't want to replay that nightmare — especially now when it's such
      tough going for her husband."

      Bush is under the worst pressure of his two terms in office and his
      popularity is near an all-time low. The handling of the Katrina
      crisis and troop losses in Iraq have fueled public discontent and
      pushed Bush back to drink.

      A Washington source said: "The sad fact is that he has been sneaking
      drinks for weeks now. Laura may have only just caught him — but the
      word is his drinking has been going on for a while in the capital.
      He's been in a pressure cooker for months.

      "The war in Iraq, the loss of American lives, has deeply affected
      him. He takes every soldier's life personally. It has left him
      emotionally drained.

      The result is he's taking drinks here and there, likely in private,
      to cope. "And now with the worst domestic crisis in his
      administration over Katrina, you pray his drinking doesn't go out of
      control."

      Another source said: "I'm only surprised to hear that he hadn't taken
      a shot sooner. Before Katrina, he was at his wit's end. I've known
      him for years. He's been a good ol' Texas boy forever. George had a
      drinking problem for years that most professionals would say needed
      therapy. He doesn't believe in it [therapy], he never got it. He
      drank his way through his youth, through college and well into his
      thirties. Everyone's drinking around him."

      Another source said: "A family member told me they fear George
      is 'falling apart.' The First Lady has been assigned the job of
      gatekeeper." Bush's history of drinking dates back to his youth.
      Speaking of his time as a young man in the National Guard, he has
      said: "One thing I remember, and I'm most proud of, is my drinking
      and partying. Those were the days my friends. Those were the good old
      days!"

      Age 26 in 1972, he reportedly rounded off a night's boozing with his
      16-year-old brother Marvin by challenging his father to a fight.

      On November 1, 2000, on the eve of his first presidential election,
      Bush acknowledged that in 1976 he was arrested for driving under the
      influence of alcohol near his parents' home in Maine. Age 30 at the
      time, Bush pleaded guilty and paid a $150 fine. His driving
      privileges were temporarily suspended in Maine.

      "I'm not proud of that," he said. "I made some mistakes. I
      occasionally drank too much, and I did that night. I learned my
      lesson." In another interview around that time, he said: "Well, I
      don't think I had an addiction. You know it's hard for me to say.
      I've had friends who were, you know, very addicted... and they
      required hitting bottom (to start) going to AA. I don't think that
      was my case."

      During his 2000 presidential campaign, there were also persistent
      questions about past cocaine use. Eventually Bush denied using
      cocaine after 1992, then quickly extended the cocaine-free period
      back to 1974, when he was 28.

      Dr. Justin Frank, a Washington D.C. psychiatrist and author of Bush
      On The Couch: Inside The Mind Of The President, told The National
      Enquirer: "I do think that Bush is drinking again. Alcoholics who are
      not in any program, like the President, have a hard time when stress
      gets to be great.

      "I think it's a concern that Bush disappears during times of stress.
      He spends so much time on his ranch. It's very frightening."

      Published on: 09/21/2005
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2005
        As if he's ever gone through any hardship in Bush World. Unbelievable.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2005
          Maybe he's realizing that he was a bit off in his
          estimated casualty count of 0, as he told Pat
          Robertson before the Iraq invasion. If he's drinking
          (I first heard rumors in 2003 from a friend who got
          it from Bill Moyer's film crew ), it may indicate that
          there is a conscience back there somewhere. It will
          be interesting to see if he is more from the LBJ
          school of politically-motivated war-mongering or the
          Nixon camp where it never sinks in.

          As if he's ever gone through any hardship in Bush
          World. Unbelievable.

          President bush
          President george w bush
          Supreme court justices