Re: [prezveepsenator] "I thought of the clean linens at your table....."

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2005
      Great post, Gregory.. that was well put.

      --- Gregory <greggolopry@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      This was in the Wednesday edition of the NYT and most
      worthy of
      posting here.

      Poet Rebuffs Laura Bush

      By LAWRENCE VAN GELDER
      Published: September 21, 2005

      Protesting the war in Iraq, the poet Sharon Olds,
      winner of a
      National Book Critics Circle Award and professor of
      writing at New
      York University, has rebuffed an invitation from Laura
      Bush, the
      first lady, to attend the fifth National Book Festival
      on the
      National Mall in Washington on Saturday. Noting that
      the event,
      sponsored by the Library of Congress, includes a
      dinner at the
      library and a breakfast at the White House, Ms. Olds,
      in a letter on
      the Web site of The Nation
      (thenation.com/doc/20051010/olds), said
      she found the invitation appealing. "But I could not
      face the idea of
      breaking bread with you," she wrote in a letter to
      Mrs. Bush. "I knew
      that if I sat down to eat with you, it would feel to
      me as if I were
      condoning what I see to be the wild, highhanded
      actions of the Bush
      administration. . . . So many Americans who had felt
      pride in our
      country now feel anguish and shame, for the current
      regime of blood,
      wounds and fire. I thought of the clean linens at your
      table, the
      shining knives and the flames of the candles, and I
      could not stomach
      it."

      President bush
      President george w bush