Schroeder, Merkel both claim victory in German election

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2005
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-09/19/content_3509363.htm

      Schroeder, Merkel both claim victory in German
      election
      www.chinaview.cn 2005-09-19 03:12:59

      BERLIN, Sept. 18 (Xinhuanet) -- Both German
      Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and his challenger Angela
      Merkel claimed victory in Sunday's election as exit
      polls show neither Merkel's alliance nor Schroeder's
      coalition won a majority to form a new government.

      Speaking at a rally at the Social Democratic Party
      (SPD), Schroeder said that Germany will be "under my
      leadership" in the next few years.

      Earlier his challenger Angela Merkel said she had
      "the a very clear mandate to govern" despite her
      bloc's failure to win a majority in the election.

      Declaring that he would remain as the chancellor,
      Schroeder said Merkel is "arrogant" and too confident
      to say that.

      Schroeder said that the Christian Democratic Union
      (CDU) failed"dramatically" in the election. "It is a
      disastrous result for CDU," he said.

      "We will begin coalition talks," he said. The
      chancellor ruled out forming a coalition with the Left
      Party, instead, he would seek cooperation with the
      Free Democratic Party (FDP).

      "I regard myself as confirmed in office by our
      country and intend that there will be stable
      government under my leadership," he said.

      SPD Chairman Franz Muentefering told a rally
      earlier that the result indicates that voters trust
      Schroeder, not Merkel.

      "This is a personal defeat for Merkel,"
      Muentefering said.

      "Her dreams are shattered," the German TV ZDF was
      quoted by theGerman news agency DPA as saying.

      However, addressing a rally at the headquarters of
      the CDU, Merkel said that CDU and its partner
      Christian Social Union are the strongest force in the
      parliament.

      Despite the lack of a majority, the alliance has a
      "very clear mandate to govern," she said, vowing to
      seek cooperation with other parties.

      The key now is in the hands of the FDP, which has
      a symbol color of yellow. Both CDU/CSU and SPD needs
      cooperation from FDP.

      Schroeder's remarks mean there can be a
      red-green-yellow government and Merkel needs to seek a
      third partner to form a grand coalition.

      According to the Forsa poll, CDU/CSU and its
      coalition partner,the FDP, won only 286 of the 598
      Bundestag or parliament seats.

      The poll showed that Schroeder's SPD wins 210
      seats and its junior partner, the Green Party, won 51
      seats. The Left Party alsogot 51 seats.

      The ARD exit polls gave SPD 33.8 percent and the
      Greens 8.4 percent and CDU/CSU 35.7 percent and the
      FDP 10.5 percent. The Left Party was given 7.7
      percent.