Barbara Bush speaks out

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2005
      http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719

      Barbara Bush: Things Working Out 'Very Well' for Poor Evacuees from
      New Orleans

      By E&P Staff

      Published: September 05, 2005 7:25 PM ET updated 8:00 PM

      NEW YORK Accompanying her husband, former President George
      H.W.Bush, on a tour of hurricane relief centers in
      Houston, Barbara Bush said today, referring to the
      poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated, "This is working
      very well for them."

      The former First Lady's remarks were aired this
      evening on American Public Media's "Marketplace"
      program.

      She was part of a group in Houston today at the
      Astrodome that included her husband and former
      President Bill Clinton, who were chosen by her son,
      the current president, to head fundraising efforts for
      the recovery. Sen. Hilary Clinton and Sen. Barack
      Obama were also present.

      In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of
      evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost
      everyone I've talked to says we're going to move to
      Houston."

      Then she added: "What I'm hearing which is sort of
      scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is
      so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

      "And so many of the people in the arena here, you
      know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she
      chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."