Gulf Coast resources sent to Persian Gulf

  • Jesse Gordon
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2005
      Below is the main editorial from today's New Orleans newspaper, the
      Times Picayune. In it, they call for the resignation of all FEMA
      officials.

      I think FEMA is not wholly to blame -- Bush is. FEMA had large parts
      their budget transferred to "homeland security", the new department
      that they got stuck in by Bush. Specifically, FEMA had slated to
      reinforce the new Orleans levee, and those funds went to fight Bush's
      war in Iraq.

      Additionally, Louisiana National Guard troops were sent to Iraq --
      and hence were unavailable to help out in New Orleans. Same for
      Mississippi National Guard troops who could have helped along the
      Mississippi guld coast.

      This is the REAL price of the Bush's Iraq war -- lives lost in the
      United States because of Bush's misplaced priorities.

      -- Jesse Gordon

      http://www.nola.com/hurricane/katrina/pdf/090405/a15.pdf

      Open Letter to Bush from the Times Picayune

      Sun Sep 4th, 2005 at 12:24:33 PDT

      We heard you loud and clear Friday when you visited our devastated
      city and the Gulf Coast and said, "What is not working, we're going
      to make it right."

      Please forgive us if we wait to see proof of your promise before
      believing you. But we have good reason for our skepticism.

      Bienville built New Orleans where he built it for one main reason:
      It's accessible. The city between the Mississippi River and Lake
      Pontchartrain was easy to reach in 1718.

      How much easier it is to access in 2005 now that there are
      interstates and bridges, airports and helipads, cruise ships, barges,
      buses and diesel-powered trucks.

      Despite the city's multiple points of entry, our nation's bureaucrats
      spent days after last week's hurricane wringing their hands,
      lamenting the fact that they could neither rescue the city's stranded
      victims nor bring them food, water and medical supplies.

      Meanwhile there were journalists, including some who work for The
      Times-Picayune, going in and out of the city via the Crescent City
      Connection. On Thursday morning, that crew saw a caravan of 13 Wal-
      Mart tractor trailers headed into town to bring food, water and
      supplies to a dying city.

      Television reporters were doing live reports from downtown New
      Orleans streets. Harry Connick Jr. brought in some aid Thursday, and
      his efforts were the focus of a "Today" show story Friday morning.

      Yet, the people trained to protect our nation, the people whose job
      it is to quickly bring in aid were absent. Those who should have been
      deploying troops were singing a sad song about how our city was
      impossible to reach.

      We're angry, Mr. President, and we'll be angry long after our beloved
      city and surrounding parishes have been pumped dry. Our people
      deserved rescuing. Many who could have been were not. That's to the
      government's shame.

      Mayor Ray Nagin did the right thing Sunday when he allowed those with
      no other alternative to seek shelter from the storm inside the
      Louisiana Superdome. We still don't know what the death toll is, but
      one thing is certain: Had the Superdome not been opened, the city's
      death toll would have been higher. The toll may even have been
      exponentially higher.

      It was clear to us by late morning Monday that many people inside the
      Superdome would not be returning home. It should have been clear to
      our government, Mr. President. So why weren't they evacuated out of
      the city immediately? We learned seven years ago, when Hurricane
      Georges threatened, that the Dome isn't suitable as a long-term
      shelter. So what did state and national officials think would happen
      to tens of thousands of people trapped inside with no air
      conditioning, overflowing toilets and dwindling amounts of food,
      water and other essentials?

      State Rep. Karen Carter was right Friday when she said the city
      didn't have but two urgent needs: "Buses! And gas!" Every official at
      the Federal Emergency Management Agency should be fired, Director
      Michael Brown especially.

      In a nationally televised interview Thursday night, he said his
      agency hadn't known until that day that thousands of storm victims
      were stranded at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. He gave
      another nationally televised interview the next morning and
      said, "We've provided food to the people at the Convention Center so
      that they've gotten at least one, if not two meals, every single day."

      Lies don't get more bald-faced than that, Mr. President.

      Yet, when you met with Mr. Brown Friday morning, you told
      him, "You're doing a heck of a job."

      That's unbelievable.

      There were thousands of people at the Convention Center because the
      riverfront is high ground. The fact that so many people had reached
      there on foot is proof that rescue vehicles could have gotten there,
      too.

      We, who are from New Orleans, are no less American than those who
      live on the Great Plains or along the Atlantic Seaboard. We're no
      less important than those from the Pacific Northwest or Appalachia.
      Our people deserved to be rescued.

      No expense should have been spared. No excuses should have been
      voiced. Especially not one as preposterous as the claim that New
      Orleans couldn't be reached.

      Mr. President, we sincerely hope you fulfill your promise to make our
      beloved communities work right once again.

      When you do, we will be the first to applaud.