anybody watching the MSNBC telethon?

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
      My sister's got it on TV right now and we were
      listening to various celebrities talk about New
      Orleans. The rapper Kanye West was making an
      impasioned speech about the black people of New
      Orleans and as soon as he said, "George Bush doesn't
      care about black people" he was cut off, and the
      screen switched to somebody else. I'm not convinced
      that Bush doesn't care at all about black people, but
      his care for them does seem mighty questionable these days.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
        http://www.kget.com/entertainment/story.aspx?content_id=0E71260D-B9E0-4A4A-8621-7A101016AA7A
        Kanye West Slams Bush In Live Telethon

        Ryan Burrow - Chicago

        During NBC's live broadcast of Concert for Hurricane Relief rapper
        Kanye West, in what appeared to be an impromptu address, told viewers
        that National Guardsmen were given the unfair order to shoot at
        African-Americans on the streets of New Orleans.

        In a stumbling, yet defiant statement, West proclaimed that when
        African-Americans were caught stealing in New Orleans, they were
        called looters. However when whites were caught, they were just
        feeding their families.

        He was joined by former Saturday Night Live star Mike Myers, who
        returned to the script, and seemed frustrated by the the rapper's remarks.

        West then declared "George Bush doesn't care about black people."
        Before the rapper could complete his statement, NBC producers cut away.

        The hour-long NBC telethon Friday raised money for the Red Cross.
        Other musicians included Harry Connick Junior, Tim McGraw, and Aaron
        Neville.
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
          For me the most poignant comment came from N.O, mayor
          Ray Nagin when he said ( addressing Bush) " No more
          goddamned press conferences" >and now I'm paraphrasing
          'until you do something'.. I searched for the exact
          quote but I couldn't it find online, but I heard him
          say it several times on the radio.
          Anybody catch the Black Caucus on Cspan? Needless to
          say they are pissed.

          ---------------------------------
[...]

          United
          state bankruptcy court western district of texas
          President george w. bush
          United state
          bankruptcy court california
          United state
          bankruptcy court southern district of indiana
          United state bankruptcy
          court ohio
          President bush

          Terms of Service.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
            Racism is too deeply ingrained in American history, even way before
            the country was founded. And I doubt this salient and stigmatic irony,
            so contradictory to the spirit of America, will ever been truly
            reconciled.

            Ram

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@F...>