Re: another man who didn't want to be president

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      And whoever it was died before the electoral votes were officialy
      counted, so his votes mostly went to other people. I think it was
      someone who lost to Grant, so either in 1868 or 1872.
      Was James Sherman related to the Sherman (brother of William Tecumseh
      Sherman) who was seeking the Republican nomination in 1880?

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        There were lots of Shermans back then. William T. Sherman had a
        brother who was a presidential nominee wannabe but never was as
        popular as his brother.

        Then there was Senator John Sherman, who was famous for tagging his
        name on important legislations. (Who doesn't remember the Sherman
        Anti-trust Act!)

        This Sherman that we are talking about is James Schoolcraft Sherman,
        a House member from New York. Whether he had anything to do with the
        other guys... Greg, I have no clue.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>