Re: Andrew Johnson: A 'Trent Lott' kind of guy

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2005
      > Ram's last post got me curious about Andrew Johnson.
      > What was a white supremacist Democrat doing on the
      > ticket anyway? From an article

      Tom,

      The reason why Lincoln picked a Democrat as his "running mate" was
      because of his unpopularity in 1864 and the fact that the country was
      deeply divided. He thought that move would secure his re-election bid,
      and more importantly, appease the South.

      If McCain had the decency to be Kerry's Andrew Johnson in 2004, that
      would have been a winning cross-party ticket since Linoln-Johnson.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        Let's see.. two cross-party tickets; in both cases,
        the president dies within a month or so, and both VPs
        go on to have miserable presidencies. It's not hard to
        see why it's not more common.

        --- Ram Lau <ramlau@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        > Ram's last post got me curious about Andrew Johnson.
        > What was a white supremacist Democrat doing on the
        > ticket anyway? From an article

        Tom,

        The reason why Lincoln picked a Democrat as his
        "running mate" was
        because of his unpopularity in 1864 and the fact that
        the country was
        deeply divided. He thought that move would secure his
        re-election bid,
        and more importantly, appease the South.

        If McCain had the decency to be Kerry's Andrew Johnson
        in 2004, that
        would have been a winning cross-party ticket since
        Linoln-Johnson.

        Terms of Service.