Re: another man who didn't want to be president

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 10:01 AM
      It wasn't Greeley. But I know what you are talking about. I can also
      blurrily remember some guy did lose and died a few days after the
      general election in the mid- to late-1800s. But the closest thing I
      can find is James Sherman, Taft's running mate in 1912, who died a
      few days before the general election.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 11:22 AM
        And whoever it was died before the electoral votes were officialy
        counted, so his votes mostly went to other people. I think it was
        someone who lost to Grant, so either in 1868 or 1872.
        Was James Sherman related to the Sherman (brother of William Tecumseh
        Sherman) who was seeking the Republican nomination in 1880?

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 2:21 PM
          There were lots of Shermans back then. William T. Sherman had a
          brother who was a presidential nominee wannabe but never was as
          popular as his brother.

          Then there was Senator John Sherman, who was famous for tagging his
          name on important legislations. (Who doesn't remember the Sherman
          Anti-trust Act!)

          This Sherman that we are talking about is James Schoolcraft Sherman,
          a House member from New York. Whether he had anything to do with the
          other guys... Greg, I have no clue.

          Ram

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>