Defeated nominees to the U.S. Supreme Court

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2005
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeated_nominees_to_the_U.S._Supreme_Court
      Defeated nominees to the U.S. Supreme Court
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

      Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States are nominated by
      the President and confirmed by the Senate. Sometimes, the President's
      choice for the court is rejected by the Senate, sometimes they
      withdraw under pressure, and sometimes the nominee declines the
      nomination. As of 2005, 148 people have been officially nominated to
      the US Supreme Court. The Senate has rejected twelve, taken no action
      on five and postponed votes on three. The President has withdrawn his
      nomination on six occasions. Seven others have declined the nomination.

      Presidential administrations are listed with any defeated Supreme
      Court nominees.
      Contents
      [hide]

      * 1 George Washington (2)
      * 2 James Madison (3)
      * 3 John Quincy Adams (1)
      * 4 Andrew Jackson (1)
      * 5 John Tyler (8)
      * 6 James K. Polk
      * 7 James Buchanan
      * 8 Andrew Johnson
      * 9 Ulysses S. Grant
      * 10 Grover Cleveland
      * 11 Herbert Hoover
      * 12 Lyndon Johnson
      * 13 Richard Nixon
      * 14 Ronald Reagan
      * 15 References

      [edit]

      George Washington (2)

      William Paterson was nominated for the Supreme Court on Feb 27, 1793.
      The nomination was withdrawn. The message was received by the Senate
      on Feb 28, 1793.

      The nomination of John Rutledge as Chief Justice was rejected by a
      vote of 10-14 on Dec 15, 1795. Rutledge's strident opposition to the
      Jay Treaty may have been the main reason for his rejection.
      [edit]

      James Madison (3)

      When William Cushing left the bench, Madison nominated Levi Lincoln
      who declined the nomination.

      Alexander Wolcott was then nominated but was rejected by a vote of
      9-24 on Feb 13, 1811.

      Then John Quincy Adams was nominated but declined the nomination.
      [edit]

      John Quincy Adams (1)

      John J. Crittenden was nominated on Dec 18, 1828. The Senate postponed
      the vote on his confirmation, by a vote of 23-17, on Feb 12, 1829. The
      Senate did not explicitly vote to "postpone indefintely", the
      resolution did have that effect.
      [edit]

      Andrew Jackson (1)

      Roger B. Taney was nominated on Jan 15, 1835. A resolution was passed
      in the Senate to "postpone indefintely", by a vote of 24-21, the
      nomination on Mar 3, 1835.
      [edit]

      John Tyler (8)

      John C. Spencer was nominated on Jan 9, 1844 and his nomination was
      defeated by a vote of 21-26 on Jan 31, 1844.

      Reuben H. Walworth was nominated on Mar 13, 1844, and a resolution to
      table the nomination passed on a 27-20 vote on Jun 15, 1844. The
      nominated was withdrawn from the Senate on Jun 17, 1844.

      Edward King was nominated on Jun 5, 1844. A resolution to table the
      nomination passed by a vote of 29-18 on Jun 15, 1844. No other action
      was taken on this nomination.

      John C. Spencer was again nominated on Jun 17, 1844, but there is no
      record of debate and the letter withdrawing the nomination was
      received on the same day.

      Reuben H. Walworth was nominated again on Jun 17, 1844, but the motion
      to act on the nomination in the Senate was objected to, and not
      further action was taken.

      Reuben H. Walworth was nominated again on Dec 10, 1844, but the
      nomination was tabled on Jan 21, 1845 and withdrawn on Feb 6, 1845.

      Edward King was nominated again on Dec 10, 1844, but the nomination
      was tabled on Jan 21, 1845 and withdrawn on Feb 8, 1845.

      John M. Read was nominated on Feb 8, 1845 and there was a motion to
      consider the nomination in the Senate on Jan 21, 1845, but the motion
      was unsuccessful and no other action was taken.
      [edit]

      James K. Polk

      James Polk nominated George W. Woodward to replace Henry Baldwin. The
      Senate rejected him by a vote of 20-29.
      [edit]

      James Buchanan

      Buchanan nominated Jeremiah S. Black to the court. The Senate voted
      25-26 against confirming him.
      [edit]

      Andrew Johnson

      Two justices died in office during Johnson's administration. The
      United States Congress acted preemptively to deny Johnson any
      nominations to the court by passing the Judicial Circuits Act of 1866,
      which automatically reduced the size of the court whenever a vacancy
      occurred. Congress restored the size of the court to 9 members once
      Johnson was out of office.
      [edit]

      Ulysses S. Grant

      Ulysses Grant nominated Ebenezer R. Hoar to a new seat on the court.
      The Senate rejected this nomination by a vote of 24-33.

      Grant also nominated Edwin M. Stanton, former Attorney General and
      Secretary of War to the court. The nomination was confirmed, but
      Stanton died before he was commissioned.
      [edit]

      Grover Cleveland

      In Grover Cleveland's second term, Associate Justice Samuel Blatchford
      died. This seat was traditionally held by a New Yorker. By the long
      tradition of Senatorial courtesy, other Senators deferred to the
      nominee's home state senator when evaluating his nomination. The
      Senator from New York at the time was David B. Hill, a political rival
      of Cleveland's. Hill had lost the Democratic nomination for the
      President to Cleveland in 1892. Cleveland's first two nominees were
      not confirmed by the Senate. The nomination of William Hornblower from
      New York was rejected by the Senate by a vote of 24-30 on January 15,
      1894. Cleveland's follow up nominee Wheeler H. Peckham, another New
      Yorker, was also rejected by the Senate, 32-41, on February 16, 1894.
      Cleveland finally got around Hill by nominating a sitting Senator from
      Louisiana, Edward Douglass White to the court. His nomination was
      approved.
      [edit]

      Herbert Hoover

      On May 7, 1930, John J. Parker's nomination for the Supreme Court was
      rejected by a vote of 39-41.
      [edit]

      Lyndon Johnson

      Johnson nominated Abe Fortas for Chief Justice. Fortas was, at the
      time, an associate justice. Controversy ensued regarding Fortas's
      extrajudicial activities, and at Fortas's request, Johnson withdrew
      the nomination prior to a vote of the full Senate. Earl Warren
      continued to act as Chief Justice through the 1968 election. After his
      inauguration, Nixon nominated Warren Burger, who was promptly confirmed.

      When he nominated Fortas, he also nominated Homer Thornberry to fill
      Fortas' seat. Since Fortas withdrew his name from the Chief Justice
      position, but maintained his seat as an Associate Justice, the
      nomination of Thornberry was moot. He was never voted on by the Senate.
      [edit]

      Richard Nixon

      When Abe Fortas resigned in 1969, Nixon nominated Clement Haynsworth,
      a Southern jurist. His nomination was rejected by the Senate by a vote
      of 45-55 on November 21, 1969.

      In response, Nixon nominated G. Harold Carswell, a Southerner with a
      history of supporting segregation.The Senate rejected his nomination
      45 to 51 on April 8, 1970. Nixon finally nominated Harry Blackmun, a
      childhood friend of Justice Burger, who was confirmed.
      [edit]

      Ronald Reagan

      When Lewis Powell retired in July 1987, Reagan nominated Robert Bork.
      Bork was a member of the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
      at the time. Bork lost confirmation by a Senate vote of 42 to 58,
      largely because Bork had written about his views on many controversial
      constitutional issues. Because his position as an originalist and a
      conservative was well-known, many interest groups moved to block his
      nomination.

      Reagan then nominated Douglas H. Ginsburg to the court. Ginsburg
      withdrew his nomination under heavy pressure after revealing that he
      had previously smoked marijuana. Reagan nominated Anthony Kennedy, who
      was confirmed by a Senate vote of 97-0.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2005
        Wow.. Does anybody have a sense what was going on with
        John Tyler? Bad picks? Retribution? Idealogues?

        ---------------------------------
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeated_nominees_to_the_U.S._Supreme_Court
        Defeated nominees to the U.S. Supreme Court
        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

[...]

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2005
          I don't know for sure, but I'd guess retribution. He
          became president when President William Henry
          Harrisson died after a month in office. Harrisson was
          a Whig, but Tyler really was more of a Democrat at
          heart. I don't know why the Whigs nominated Tyler for
          vice president. I heard once that the Whigs expelled
          Tyler from their party, and he had a terrible
          relationship with Whigs in Congress.

          === message truncated ===
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2005
            Harrisson is actually Harrison, sorry.

> [...]
            > >
            > > Reuben H. Walworth was nominated again on Dec 10,
            > > 1844, but the
            > > nomination was tabled on Jan 21, 1845 and
            > withdrawn
            > > on
            > > Feb 6, 1845.
            > >
            > > Edward King was nominated again on Dec 10, 1844,
            > but
            > > the nomination
            > > was tabled on Jan 21, 1845 and withdrawn on Feb 8,
            > > 1845.
            > >
            > > John M. Read was nominated on Feb 8, 1845 and
            > there
            > > was a motion to
            > > consider the nomination in the Senate on Jan 21,
            > > 1845,
            > > but the motion
            > > was unsuccessful and no other action was taken.
            > > [edit]
            > >
            > > James K. Polk
            > >
            > > James Polk nominated George W. Woodward to replace

            === message truncated ===