Re: another man who didn't want to be president

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 2:15 AM
      Thank you, Ram. And I think I remember that Greeley died a few days
      before the election, or was it a few days after? Unless I'm thinking
      of someone else.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 10:01 AM
        It wasn't Greeley. But I know what you are talking about. I can also
        blurrily remember some guy did lose and died a few days after the
        general election in the mid- to late-1800s. But the closest thing I
        can find is James Sherman, Taft's running mate in 1912, who died a
        few days before the general election.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 11:22 AM
          And whoever it was died before the electoral votes were officialy
          counted, so his votes mostly went to other people. I think it was
          someone who lost to Grant, so either in 1868 or 1872.
          Was James Sherman related to the Sherman (brother of William Tecumseh
          Sherman) who was seeking the Republican nomination in 1880?

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1 2:21 PM
            There were lots of Shermans back then. William T. Sherman had a
            brother who was a presidential nominee wannabe but never was as
            popular as his brother.

            Then there was Senator John Sherman, who was famous for tagging his
            name on important legislations. (Who doesn't remember the Sherman
            Anti-trust Act!)

            This Sherman that we are talking about is James Schoolcraft Sherman,
            a House member from New York. Whether he had anything to do with the
            other guys... Greg, I have no clue.

            Ram

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>