Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: Did Nixon speak out against Goldwater's racial stance in 1964?

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2005
      Good point. Nixon was a brilliant strategist but
      didn't really stand for anything. Or maybe he looked
      at Harry Truman's 24% approval rating in 1951 and
      decided that integrity was a liability.
      Does anybody have any insight or thoughts on whether
      Wilson entered WW1 more with the US interests in mind
      or for political gain?

      ---------------------------------
      Wilson was a Dixiecrat, and, as a matter of fact,
      quite proud of being
      one.

      The way I see Nixon is that he was willing to be
      either the good or
      bad guy. I fail to see what kind of legacy he wanted
      to shape, and
      maybe he just didn't care. He would've been a strong
      Civil Rights
      supporter had the Democrats not gone all out for the
      Black votes. As
      Machiavellian as he was, every vote was within his
      calculation. And by
      1968, it was a "wise move" to let go any support from
      Blacks (since
      Goldwater totally ruined it for him anyway) and go for
      the KKK votes
      instead. The plan worked out quite well for him,
      didn't it?

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON
      <AVRCRDNG@F...>
      wrote:
      > That's a lot to think about.
      > According to Joan Hoff writing in Nixon
      Reconsidered,
      > Nixon told her that his roots were in the
      progressive
      > wing of the Republican Party, and by initiating the
      > EPA, the Social Security Income program, and the
      > Office for Minority Business Enterprise, there seems
      > to be some credence to that. And though he started
      > with a higher approval rating than JFK or LBJ in
      > their first 6 months in office, he felt that the
      press
      > was out to get him, despite being supported by the
      > vast majority of periodicals and daily newspapers in
      > all three runs for president. His paranoia probably
      > stopped him from attempting to do more.
      > In secretly bombing Cambodia, 100,000 Cambodian
      > peasants were killed and set the stage for the Khmer
      > Rouge to take over, resulting in another 1.7
      million
      > deaths. He seems to have admitted that he prolonged
      > the Viet Nam war for several years to help him get
      > re-elected.
      > He was an asshole, alright, and an insecure one, at
      > that.... he probably knew it but I don't think he
      > cared. The man must have been a sociopath.
      > It looks to me like we have the same situation
      > happening today, and I'm beginning to wonder whether
      > Wilson was one, as well.
      >
      > Tom
      >

      > --- Ram Lau <ramlau@y...> wrote:
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > I had a conversation with an emeritus professor on
      > race and the
      > Presidents yesterday. It began with his son at Yale
      > working on his
      > history dissertation on Woodrow Wilson's Southern
      > roots and my "Nixon
      > 96" shirt.
      >
      > Knowing how racist Wilson was, I had no intention to
      > defend him. Then
      > I pointed out that the New Deal coalition was very
      > solid until the
      > late 40's when Eleanor Roosevelt and Harry Truman
      and
      > Hubert Humphrey
      > and the ADA and other Civil Rights pioneers
      > substantially shaked up
      > the civil rights stances of both parties for the
      first
      > time.
      >
      > Nixon was the last GOP leader who could do something
      > about preserving
      > the moderate wing of the Party. But he wanted to win
      > so badly that he
      > came to the South and sought for the Klan votes
      > instead. His
      > anti-busing stance in 1972 was yet another blow that
      > drove away the
      > "good elements" of the GOP. I wonder if he realized
      > how much of an
      > asshole he was. I'm quite sure he did.
      >
      > He could have been the good guy and would have done
      > great. But that
      > role was taken by LBJ. Now that his infamous name
      will
      > long live...
      > perhaps that's what he wanted?

      Yahoo!
      > Terms of Service.
      >

      > ---------------------------------

      President bush
      Supreme court justices
      President
      Supreme court

      Terms of Service.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25, 2005
        Try this group:

        Our group members aren't that responsive. And I just I don't think
        people in general care much about history.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2005
          Thanks, Ram...It looks very interesting.

          wrote:
> [...]
          > first
          > > time.
          > >
          > > Nixon was the last GOP leader who could do
          something
          > > about preserving
          > > the moderate wing of the Party. But he wanted to
          win
          > > so badly that he
          > > came to the South and sought for the Klan votes
          > > instead. His
          > > anti-busing stance in 1972 was yet another blow
          that
          > > drove away the
          > > "good elements" of the GOP. I wonder if he
          realized
          > > how much of an
          > > asshole he was. I'm quite sure he did.
          > >
          > > He could have been the good guy and would have
          done
          > > great. But that
          > > role was taken by LBJ. Now that his infamous name

          Yahoo!
          > Terms of Service.

          President bush
          Supreme court justices