981Re: Ohio governor charged with four misdemeanors

    Aug 18, 2005
      As we all know, Catherine Harris is running for Senate as well. Maybe
      the climax top for the neo-CONs? If 1964 for the conservatives was the
      2004 for the liberals, I'd like to find out what happened in 1966.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@F...>

      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2005-08-17T220842Z_01_HO779725_RTRIDST_0_POLITICS-CRIME-OHIO-GOVERNOR-DC.XML

      > > Ohio gov. charged with criminal misdemeanors
      > > Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:09 PM ET
      > >
      > > COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Prosecutors in Ohio
      > charged
      > > Gov. Bob Taft on Wednesday with four criminal
      > > misdemeanor counts alleging violations of state
      > ethics
      > > laws for not reporting golf games and other outings
      > > paid for by others.
      > >
      > > The charges marked the first time an Ohio governor
      > has
      > > been charged with a crime while in office. A Taft
      > > spokesman said the governor would not resign and
      > would
      > > have a statement on Thursday.
      > >
      > > The charges against the Republican governor also
      > > marked another step in a still-unfolding scandal
      > > dubbed "Coingate" that involves $13 million in
      > missing
      > > state funds and a top Ohio Republican fund-raiser.
      > >
      > > Stephen McIntosh, chief prosecutor for the Columbus
      > > city attorney, said most of the outings involved
      > golf
      > > but also included meals and tickets to see the
      > > Columbus Blue Jackets hockey team.
      > >
      > > The undeclared amounts totaled a little less than
      > > $6,000, McIntosh said. The governor subsequently
      > > notified state ethics commission officials about the
      > > outings that had been omitted in previous filings of
      > > yearly disclosure forms. McIntosh said the governor
      > is
      > > required to report gifts or benefits of $75 or more.
      > >
      > > Prosecutors were asking that Taft appear in court on
      > > Thursday morning, though if he chooses to enter a
      > not
      > > guilty plea only his lawyer would have to be
      > present,
      > > he said.
      > >
      > > If found guilty, he faces fines of $1,000 and six
      > > months in jail on each count, though jail time was
      > > considered unlikely.
      > >
      > > McIntosh said the probe of Taft grew out of an
      > > investigation into fund-raiser Tom Noe and the
      > state's
      > > Bureau of Workers Compensation.
      > >
      > > Last month, Taft's former chief of staff was found
      > > guilty of violating ethics laws by not disclosing
      > > gifts from Noe, who is at the heart of the Coingate
      > > scandal.
      > >
      > > Noe was a rare coin dealer who allegedly mismanaged
      > > $50 million state investment in rare coins. Noe's
      > > attorney has said $13 million was missing from the
      > > investment made for Ohio's Bureau of Worker's
      > > Compensation, a $15 billion fund that makes payments
      > > to disabled workers.
      > >
      > > Gov. Taft's father and grandfather both served in
      > the
      > > U.S. Senate and his great-grandfather, William
      > Howard
      > > Taft, was the 27th U.S. president, as well as chief
      > > justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

      > Terms of Service.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic