897Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: Harper's page on 1860-1912 presidential elections

    Jul 6, 2005
      I've been reading Dean B. Mahin's book "One War At A
      Time: The International Dimensions Of The Civil War"
      and it has some discussion of Seward's presidential
      ambitions (am I correct in thinking Governor Seward is
      the same Seward who later become Lincoln's Secretary
      of State?). I'd find you some quotes from the book,
      but I don't have time right now.

      --- Ram Lau <ramlau@...> wrote:

      > The 1860 election is very much "underrated" IMHO.
      > When people talk
      > about critical elections, it has mostly been 1800,
      > 1876, 1912, 1932,
      > 1960, 1992, and 2000. But we don't hear much about
      > Governor William
      > Henry Seward, the frontrunner of the 1860 Republican
      > nomination
      > against Lincoln, and John Cabell Breckenridge, the
      > 1860 Democratic
      > presidential nominee and Vice Persident under James
      > Buchanan.
      >
      > And there was also John Cromwell Bell from
      > Tennessee. It was an
      > election that shouldn't be ignored.
      >
      > Ram
      >

      > --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon