643Re: Crazies - now moving on to Lebanon

  • tonymaloley
    Mar 20, 2005
      This is from a nice site : http://timelines.ws/countries/LEBANON.HTML
      (I'm just trusting them that it's accurate, I was a kid myself!)
      To sum it up, all hell broke loose there for a few decades. Here are
      a few events concerning US troops.

      1982 Jul 6, President Ronald Reagan agreed to contribute U.S.
      troops to the peacekeeping unit in Beirut.
      (HN, 7/6/98)

      1982 Aug 20, Some 800 US Marines landed in Beirut, Lebanon, to
      oversee the withdrawal from Lebanon. In 1983 some 250 Marines and
      sailors were killed in two different car and truck bombs.
      (MC, 8/20/02)

      1983 Apr 18, At the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, 62
      people, including 17 Americans, were killed by a suicide bomber. In
      1996 sixteen Islamic militants were ordered to stand trial by a
      military court in Lebanon. Hezbollah leader Imad Mughniyeh was
      suspected of involvement.
      (WSJ, 3/26/96, p.A-1)(AP, 4/18/97)(WSJ, 9/19/01, p.A14)

      1983 Oct 15, US Marine sharpshooters killed 5 snipers at
      Beirut Intl. Airport.
      (MC, 10/15/01)

      1983 Oct 23, A truck filled with explosives, driven by a
      Moslem suicide terrorist, crashed into the U.S. Marine barracks near
      the Beirut International Airport in Lebanon. The bomb killed 241
      Marines and sailors and injured 80. Almost simultaneously, a similar
      incident occurred at French military headquarters, where 58 died and
      15 were injured. Hezbollah leader Imad Mughniyeh was suspected of
      involvement.
      (TMC, 1994, p.1983)(USAT, 6/26/96, p.1A)(WSJ, 8/1/96/p.B1)(AP,
      10/23/97) (HN, 10/23/98)(WSJ, 9/19/01, p.A14)

      1983 Dec 4, US jet fighters struck Syrian anti-aircraft
      positions in Lebanon.
      (MC, 12/4/01)

      1984 Feb 26, Last US marines in multinational peace-keeping
      force in Lebanon left Beirut.
      (SC, 2/26/02)

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>
      wrote:

      > Could you fill me in on what exactly was happening in Lebanon in
      1982?
      > I was born that year, and wasn't paying very close attention to
      politics.

      > I suspect that a big reason why so many people, particularly in
      > Washington, seem interested in Lebanon right now is more to do with
      > having a chance to deal a blow against Syria, who they've ticked off
      > at pretty much ever since the official end of the Iraq war. What do
      > you think will happen in Lebanon if the Syrian troops really do
      > withdraw? Will there be a glorious new free Lebanese democracy? Will
      > it return to civil war?
      > --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley"
      <am7788zz@m...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > It is only logical to look at why the crazies want to kill
      > > Americans. It hurts a lot of people's feelings to hear this
      stuff,
      > > but Osama didn't just pull our name out of a hat. The crazies
      don't
      > > want any infidel encroaching on their sovereignty/land/wasteland
      or
      > > their religion or homes or their lives. I hate to admit it, but
      the
      > > bombs that used to blow up civilians in the west bank and in
      Lebanon
      > > not too long ago do really say "made in USA." I criticize
      bombings,
      > > but that reminds me, it has been a while, so I guess I appreciate
      > > Israel's progress in the field of diplomacy.
      > >
      > > On to Lebanon. Does anyone else think it looks a bit strange for
      the
      > > UN or Nato or whoever to all of a sudden consider freedom for
      Lebanon
      > > to be a huge priority? Wasn't it around 1982 that the crazies
      bombed
      > > the marine barracks, and we pulled the hell out of there? Before
      > > this year, have you heard any American who wasn't Lebanese
      indicate
      > > that they ever gave a rat's ass about Lebanon, for over 20
      years? I
      > > guess it's better late than never. I'm skeptical about the
      > > gloriousness of Lebanon's new era, though.
      > >
      > > PS I'm half Lebanese. Maybe I'm a little sensitive to this
      stuff.
      > > All the angry young men that used to throw rocks at soldiers, and
      get
      > > themselves shot, well, I think it means more to an American when
      the
      > > people getting shot year in, year out, look like their cousins,
      > > instead of seeing them as just the kind of people who drive the
      taxis
      > > and talk funny with rags on their heads.
      > >
      > > - Tony
      > >

      > > --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Gordon"
      <jesse@j...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > We use the pretext that "democracy is on the march" and blah
      blah
      > > > blah, but that doesn't change that our colonial subjects hate
      us as
      > > > much as Britain's subjects hated Orwell. (Britain DID
      democratize
      > > > their colonies, and "improve" them in all sorts of other ways,
      so
      > > > they could just as well have said that democracy was on the
      march).
      > > > That hatred is the single most important basis for al Qaeda's
      > > > existence, and hence the single largest cause of 9/11.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic