642Re: was Books now moving to Crazies

    Mar 17, 2005
      Could you fill me in on what exactly was happening in Lebanon in 1982?
      I was born that year, and wasn't paying very close attention to politics.

      I suspect that a big reason why so many people, particularly in
      Washington, seem interested in Lebanon right now is more to do with
      having a chance to deal a blow against Syria, who they've ticked off
      at pretty much ever since the official end of the Iraq war. What do
      you think will happen in Lebanon if the Syrian troops really do
      withdraw? Will there be a glorious new free Lebanese democracy? Will
      it return to civil war?
      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>
      wrote:

      > It is only logical to look at why the crazies want to kill
      > Americans. It hurts a lot of people's feelings to hear this stuff,
      > but Osama didn't just pull our name out of a hat. The crazies don't
      > want any infidel encroaching on their sovereignty/land/wasteland or
      > their religion or homes or their lives. I hate to admit it, but the
      > bombs that used to blow up civilians in the west bank and in Lebanon
      > not too long ago do really say "made in USA." I criticize bombings,
      > but that reminds me, it has been a while, so I guess I appreciate
      > Israel's progress in the field of diplomacy.
      >
      > On to Lebanon. Does anyone else think it looks a bit strange for the
      > UN or Nato or whoever to all of a sudden consider freedom for Lebanon
      > to be a huge priority? Wasn't it around 1982 that the crazies bombed
      > the marine barracks, and we pulled the hell out of there? Before
      > this year, have you heard any American who wasn't Lebanese indicate
      > that they ever gave a rat's ass about Lebanon, for over 20 years? I
      > guess it's better late than never. I'm skeptical about the
      > gloriousness of Lebanon's new era, though.
      >
      > PS I'm half Lebanese. Maybe I'm a little sensitive to this stuff.
      > All the angry young men that used to throw rocks at soldiers, and get
      > themselves shot, well, I think it means more to an American when the
      > people getting shot year in, year out, look like their cousins,
      > instead of seeing them as just the kind of people who drive the taxis
      > and talk funny with rags on their heads.
      >
      > - Tony
      >

      > --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Gordon" <jesse@j...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > We use the pretext that "democracy is on the march" and blah blah
      > > blah, but that doesn't change that our colonial subjects hate us as
      > > much as Britain's subjects hated Orwell. (Britain DID democratize
      > > their colonies, and "improve" them in all sorts of other ways, so
      > > they could just as well have said that democracy was on the march).
      > > That hatred is the single most important basis for al Qaeda's
      > > existence, and hence the single largest cause of 9/11.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic