627Re: Books That Have Changed My Life

    Mar 12, 2005
      I wasn't sure what to make of Tung's resignation. He seems to have
      been very unpopular in Hong Kong, but I guess it was his policies that
      made him unpopular and his successor won't change those policies.

      As far as I know (I haven't finished the book yet of course), the
      government wasn't involved in the Haymarket bombing itself. It
      probably was a real anarchist who threw the bomb, not a government
      agent. But the people who were tried and executed for the bombing were
      probably not involved, and probably didn't even know the bomber.
      That's the impression I've gotten so far from the book. Some of them
      had been for years writing articles urging their fellow anarchists to
      use dynamite against their enemies, but there is of course a
      difference between writing an article like that and actually being
      involved in the crime. And after the bombing happened, the press
      apparently distorted what had happened to make it seem like the
      accused men were definitely guilty.

      There apparently was one Chicago police officer, Captain Michael J.
      Schaack, involved in the investigation that, according to the book,
      "was blessed with boundless energy, an immodest belief in his own
      talents, a flair for the dramatic, and an immoderate appetite for
      fame. Houses were searched upon the slighest suspicion. Bombs were
      discovered all over Chicago. The newspapers published details of
      impossible plots and conspiracies which Schaack, the master-detective,
      had unconvered. Most of the bombs were either non-existent or had been
      planted by the police, and the conspiracies were manifestly the
      product of the heroic captain's imagination. Tales, which at any other
      time would have been laughed down as preposterous, gained credence."

      The Chicago police chief later said, "After we got the anarchist
      societies broken up, Schaack wanted to send out men to organize new
      societies right away. You see what this would do. He wanted to keep
      the thing boiling, keep himself prominent before the public. Well, I
      sat down on that ... and, of course, Schaack didn't like it."