2571Re: Why John Kennedy would have lost in 1964

    Nov 24, 2007
      Ever tried to suggest to the brainwashed 9/11 conspiracy theorists
      that the government did not demolish the towers by using explosives?
      I've always found that a difficult task because they've already made
      up their minds. They categorically dismiss everything that you show
      them no matter what you have to prove that they are wrong. Anyway,
      let's sum it up on the topic of whether Kennedy was a popular president.

      What you said: You think Kennedy was not popular because that is what
      you believe. (Any credible source to back that up, at least?)

      What I said: Kennedy was popular according to the polls. Besides the
      informal Wikipedia entries, I included a journal paper and two news
      sources to support that claim.

      In addition, prominent biographers and historians and those who lived
      in the era concur with the polling results:
      http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/american_literary_history/v016/16.2altschuler.pdf
      "Kennedy did not use his infirmities to forge a bond with his
      constituents. A popular president who, [Robert] Dallek believes,
      served with great distinction, he did not need to. An Unfinished Life,
      boasts the book jacket, 'is a full portrait of a bold, brave, human
      Kennedy, once again a hero.'" - Robert Dallek
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dallek)

      http://books.google.com/books?id=dAI7yeY67NYC&printsec=toc
      "If only Kennedy had lived, runs this sentiment (it can hardly be
      called an argument), then the terrible violence and chaos of the late
      sixties would never have occurred. It is certainly true that Kennedy's
      death, as shown in this this book, did jar the nation. A promising
      time ended, as the assassination in Dallas killed both a popular
      president and many of the hopes that he represented. At the very
      least, Kennedy's death proved sobering, and the years that followed
      lacked a certain joy and innocence that Americans had felt in the
      early sixties." - Kennedy and the Promise of the Sixties by W. J.
      Rorabaugh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.J._Rorabaugh)

      http://spanish.eb.com/presidents/print?articleId=45085
      "He was an immensely popular president, at home and abroad. At times
      he seemed to be everywhere at once, encouraging better physical
      fitness, improving the morale of government workers, bringing
      brilliant advisers to the White House, and beautifying Washington,
      D.C. His wife joined him as an advocate for American culture. Their
      two young children, Caroline Bouvier and John F., Jr., were familiar
      throughout the country. The charm and optimism of the Kennedy family
      seemed contagious, sparking the idealism of a generation for whom the
      Kennedy White House became, in journalist Theodore White's famous
      analogy, Camelotâ€"the magical court of Arthurian legend, which was
      celebrated in a popular Broadway musical of the early 1960s." -
      Encyclopedia Britannica article, William Manchester
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Manchester)

      http://ic.media.mit.edu/projects/JBW/ARTICLES/REVELLE/REVELLE.HTM
      "When I became Science Advisor to President Kennedy, I asked him if I
      could use some of the political slots that were available to appoint
      assistant secretaries for R & D in the departments of the government
      that had substantial amounts of research and development. Kennedy said
      that it was all right with him but that I would have to persuade each
      of the cabinet officers individually to do it. They all agreed, and
      then I had the job of finding somebody acceptable to each of them
      Fortunately, Kennedy was a very popular president so it was easy to
      persuade very good scientists to join his administration. I was able
      to persuade Roger Revelle to take the post of Assistant Secretary for
      R & D, for the Department of Interior where he worked with Stewart L.
      Udall. They made a very good team." - Jerome B. Wiesner
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Wiesner)

      I've done my part to present the evidence. Feel free to dismiss them,
      but please don't claim that you have the truth.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic