2490Re: [prezveepsenator] GOP senators say Craig should resign- but not Vitter?

    Aug 29, 2007
      The difference is that Vitter let the GOP leadership
      know it was coming before the story broke and followed
      their plan of damage control by apologizing. Craig's
      arrest took them by surprise and since many feel that
      the Mark Foley scandal was the major reason for the
      loss of Congress in 06, they are anxious to get this
      story tamped down ASAP.
      I find it interesting that Craig took more of a
      arrogant victimized denial approach ala Gary Hart/
      Bill Clinton, and not a contrite 'I have sinned" Jimmy
      Swaggart style apology, followed by the now obligatory
      stint in rehab.

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070829/ap_on_go_co/craig_arrest

> [...]
      > Republican Party will find itself in a great peril
      > next year," he said.
      >
      > McCain's call for a resignation was the first among
      > GOP presidential rivals.
      >
      > Sen. Sam Brownback, also seeking the White House,
      > said
      > Craig's declaration that he had pleaded guilty to
      > make
      > the issue go away "doesn't work in these jobs."
      > Still,
      > the Kansan said it was premature to call for Craig
      > resign.
      >
      > That wasn't how it was seen by Coleman, a senator
      > facing a potentially difficult re-election contest
      > next year, or by Hoekstra, who signaled a concern
      > about the impact on the party generally.
      >
      > In an interview with The Associated Press, Hoekstra
      > called Craig's explanations "not credible."
      >
      > "I think it's important for Republicans to step out
      > right now and say, 'No, this behavior is not going
      > be tolerated,'" he said.
      >
      > Hoekstra, a conservative from western Michigan, said
      > he reached his decision on his own and had not
      > consulted with party leaders.
      >
      > "It's not a judgment on gay rights or anything like
      > that. This is about leadership and setting a
      > standard
      > that the American people and your colleagues in the
      > Republican Party can feel good about."
      >
      > Other Republicans dwelt on Craig's guilty plea, but
      > Hoekstra's mention of homosexuality reflected a
      > separate concern.
      >
      > "I am not gay. I never have been gay," the senator
      > said on Tuesday, but that stood in apparent
      > contradiction to the police report that led to his
      > guilty plea, submitted on Aug. 1.
      >
      > Craig was arrested on June 11 in the Minneapolis
      > airport men's room after an undercover officer
      > observed conduct that he said was "often used by
      > persons communicating a desire to engage in sexual
      > conduct."
      >
      > Craig was read his rights, fingerprinted and
      > required
      > to submit to a mug shot at the time of his arrest.
      >
      > He subsequently pleaded guilty to disorderly
      > conduct,
      > and signed papers that included a notation that the
      > court would not accept a guilty plea from anyone
      > claiming to be innocent.
      >
      > In his public appearance on Tuesday, Craig said he
      > had
      > "overreacted and made a poor decision" after being
      > apprehended.
      >
      > "While I was not involved in any inappropriate
      > conduct
      > in the Minneapolis Airport or anywhere else, I chose
      > to plead guilty to a lesser charge in hopes of
      > making
      > it go away," he said.
      >
      > Democratic Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts, an
      > openly homosexual member of the House, said Craig
      > was
      > a hypocrite on gay rights issues but he didn't think
      > the Republican senator should resign.
      >
      > "This is the hypocrisy — it's to deny legal equality

      === message truncated ===
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic