2476Re: [prezveepsenator] Feds pay $80,000 over anti-Bush T-shirts

    Aug 16, 2007
      My wife is from Holland and wants to learn about
      American history, so we watched the movie "All the
      President's Men" last night and, and as I was
      explaining the significance of Watergate, I was struck
      by how mundane the incident seems in the context of
      the last 6 years. I think we are living through an
      incomparable time in US history, where we have stories
      like this one on almost a daily basis.

      Sadly,

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/ap_on_re_us/bush_protesters_lawsuit;_ylt=AvRBdDYLq_JqZ21JXc7ZVvFH2ocA

      > Feds pay $80,000 over anti-Bush T-shirts
      >
      > Thu Aug 16, 9:31 PM ET
      >
      > CHARLESTON, W.Va. - A couple arrested at a rally
      > after
      > refusing to cover T-shirts that bore anti-President
      > Bush slogans settled their lawsuit against the
      > federal
      > government for $80,000, the American Civil Liberties
      > Union announced Thursday.
      >
      > Nicole and Jeffery Rank of Corpus Christi, Texas,
      > were
      > handcuffed and removed from the July 4, 2004, rally
      > at
      > the state Capitol, where Bush gave a speech. A judge
      > dismissed trespassing charges against them, and an
      > order closing the case was filed Thursday in U.S.
      > District Court in Charleston.
      >
      > "This settlement is a real victory not only for our
      > clients but for the First Amendment," said Andrew
      > Schneider, executive director of the ACLU of West
      > Virginia. "As a result of the Ranks' courageous
      > stand,
      > public officials will think twice before they eject
      > peaceful protesters from public events for
      > exercising
      > their right to dissent."
      >
      > White House spokesman Blair Jones said the
      > settlement
      > was not an admission of wrongdoing.
      >
      > "The parties understand that this settlement is a
      > compromise of disputed claims to avoid the expenses
      > and risks of litigation and is not an admission of
      > fault, liability, or wrongful conduct," Jones said.
      >
      > The front of the Ranks' homemade T-shirts bore the
      > international symbol for "no" superimposed over the
      > word "Bush." The back of Nicole Rank's T-shirt said
      > "Love America, Hate Bush." On the back of Jeffery
      > Rank's T-shirt was the message "Regime Change Starts
      > at Home."
      >
      > The ACLU said in a statement that a presidential
      > advance manual makes it clear that the government
      > tries to exclude dissenters from the president's
      > appearances. "As a last resort," the manual says,
      > "security should remove the demonstrators from the
      > event."

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic