2394republicans not running for president in 2008

  • ~**~**Joseph**~**~
    Jun 19, 2007
      Former US Senator George F. Allen (Virginia)

      US Senator George Allen's unexpected 2006 re-election defeat --
      after running an amateurish and gaffe-prone campaign -- destroyed
      the once strong buzz touting him as a likely first-tier '08 White
      House contender. In December 2006, Allen said he would not run for
      Presidential in 2008. "There are people encouraging me to run for
      office again in the future. What happens further on down the road
      remains to be seen. But it's way off in the future," he explained.

      Governor Haley R. Barbour (Mississippi)

      When "Draft Haley Barbour for President" stickers started floating
      around DC, Barbour told reporters he was flattered but did not plan
      to run in 2008. However, he did not entirely close the door on the
      race and some of his close political advisers purchased some 2008-
      related website names -- keeping the Barbour '08 stories in play
      until early 2006. Barbour is well-known with GOP leaders around the
      nation from both his two-terms as Republican National Chairman in
      the 1990s and his highly televised, professional handling of the
      Hurricane Katrina disaster in his state (especially when contrasted
      to the poor handling of the same storm by Louisiana's Governor). A
      consumate DC insider and former high-powered lobbyist, the
      conservative Barbour has the Rolodex needed to raise substantial
      funds -- but he says it won't be in 2008. In February 2006, Barbour
      gave a definitive statement he would not run: "There's no way I can
      consider running for President. I've been flattered by the people
      who have encouraged me or said they would support me. But there's no
      way I could run for President and do what I've got to do as Governor
      [with the post-Hurricane Katrina rebuilding effort]."

      Former Governor John E. "Jeb" Bush (Florida)

      His father George H.W. Bush was President ("Bush 41") from 1989-93,
      and his older brother George W. Bush has been President since 2001
      ("Bush 43") ... so lots of Republicans like the idea of turning
      Florida Governor Jeb Bush into the "Bush 44" President. Bush,
      however, repeatedly says he is not running in 2008 and actively
      discourages any attempts to suggest he'll change his mind. Bush
      allows for the possibility he may run for President at some future
      date, but he strongly emphasizes that it won't be in 2008. "I'm not
      going to run for President in 2008. That's not my interest," said
      Bush in October 2004. In May 2005, Bush's father explained that Jeb
      wouldn't run in 2008 because "The timing's wrong ... he doesn't want
      to do it." Jeb apparently believes the nation isn't ready to elect
      two brothers to back-to-back terms in the Oval Office. Two possible
      reasons that gave credibility to Jeb's denials on 2008: (1) He'll
      only be 59-years-old for the 2012 election, and (2) many believe he
      could be the VP nominee in 2008, paving the way for his future White
      House run. Several top Bush allies in Florida -- who rarely ever act
      contrary to Bush's wishes -- committed to MItt Romney's campaign in
      December 2006.

      Vice President Richard B. "Dick" Cheney (Wyoming)

      In interview after interview, Vice President Dick Cheney repeatedly
      states he will not be a candidate for President in 2008. Here are
      some typical Cheney comments about 2008 (from a June 2005 interview
      with Fox News): "I looked at [running for President] many years ago,
      and concluded back about 1994, '95 that I was not going to run, and
      went off to private life. I came back at the request of the then-
      Governor of Texas to be his runningmate. I've loved being Vice
      President. It's been a tremendous experience. But it works in part
      because my agenda is his agenda. I don't have anything here that I'm
      trying to do. I'm not worried about what I'm going to do in the Iowa
      Caucuses in 2008. I'm here to serve the President and to focus on
      the problems of the moment. And I think it's very important that I
      continue to do that. So I've made it clear that this is my last job
      in public life. I've got other things I want to do when my time is
      up here -- [like] spend time with the grandkids ... If nominated, I
      will not run, et cetera, et cetera." Still, some don't believe him.
      Washington Post journalist Bob Woodward, for example, still thinks
      Cheney will run. In August 2005, Woodward said it is "highly likely"
      Bush may urge Cheney to run. He continued: "[Cheney[ would be 67 if
      he ran and was elected. Reagan was 69. Republicans always like the
      old warhorse ... Nixon was 68 ... Both parties like to nominate Vice
      Presidents. ... Cheney would do it [if asked], and I think it's
      highly likely, so stay tuned."

      Former US Senate Majority Leader William H. "Bill" Frist (Tennessee)

      US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist did not seek re-election in
      2006, seemingly, in order to prepare for a 2008 White House run. A
      surgeon and multi-millionaire hospital chain co-founder, Frist made
      extensive visits to Iowa, New Hampshire and other key early contest
      states. By late 2006, GOP polls still showed Frist mired in the low
      single digits. In November 2006, Frist pulled the plug on his
      Presidential aspirations and announced he would not run. He is
      rumored to be pondering a 2010 run for Tennessee Governor.

      Former Governor Francis A. "Frank" Keating (Oklahoma)

      Former two-term Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating said in December
      2006 that he was considering entering the 2008 race, as he didn't
      believe any of the remaining Republican candidates were
      truly "Reagan conservatives." Keating's open flirtation with the
      race was brief, as he announced in January 2007 he would not
      run. "It's just not the right thing for me to do at this time," he
      explained. Instead, he said he'd like to run for the US Senate
      someday.

      Former Governor William F. "Bill" Owens (Colorado)

      Term-limited Colorado Governor Bill Owens was once viewed as a hot
      prospect for the next GOP White House nomination. So much so that
      during 2002-03, he was seen as already positioning himself to run
      and building a national network of contacts. That, however, was
      before the ongoing saga of his on-and-off marital separation woes.
      In 2004, it apparently played a role in his decision to not run for
      an open US Senate seat. By 2005, Owens sounded like someone who not
      only won't run for President in '08, but is likely to leave the
      political world entirely. Owens told the Rocky Mountain News in May
      2005 -- after he and his wife reconciled -- he is looking "outside
      politics" for his future and added it was "probably a very safe
      assumption" he will not be on the GOP national ticket in 2008. In
      July 2005, Owens went even further and told reporters he had "never"
      seriously considered running for President in 2008.

      Former Governor George E. Pataki (New York)

      Former Governor George Pataki made several trips to Iowa, New
      Hampshire and other key early contest states during 2005-06. He even
      opened an office in New Hampshire for his PAC (but closed it in
      early 2007). In January 2007, Pataki told NH Republican leaders he
      was "going to let the dust settle and see where we are in a few
      months" -- and added he would understand if his GOP friends wanted
      to take a closer look at or endorse some of the announced GOP
      hopefuls in the meantime. One guest at the small dinner told the
      Manchester Union-Leader: "He never came out and said, 'I'm not
      running for President,' but everybody basically saw the handwriting
      on the wall, which is he's out." Pataki's spokesperson said the ex-
      Gov was still "considering the possibility of running for President"
      but was instead "focusing on policy rather than politics." Yup, he's
      out.

      Governor Timothy J. "Tim" Pawlenty (Minnesota)

      Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty was frequently mentioned as a dark
      horse White House hopeful during much of 2004-05 -- in large part
      because of his conservative politics coupled with his proven past
      ability to get elected in a Democratic-leaning state. Pawlenty made
      a point of shooting down those rumors of national ambitions in some
      2005 interviews. After winning a narrow 2006 re-election, Pawlenty
      became co-national chair of John McCain's campaign.

      US Secretary of State Condoleezza "Condi" Rice (California)

      US Secretary of State and former Stanford University Dean Condi Rice
      has slipped from time to time in interviews -- usually ones given
      abroad -- and mentioned an interest in someday being President.
      However, Rice adamantly insists she will not run in 2008 and plans
      to return to academia in California when the Bush Administration
      ends. That hasn't stopped a small but enthusiastic draft movement
      from forming, which has even run some TV ads in Iowa.

      Governor Marshall C. "Mark" Sanford Jr. (South Carolina)

      South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford -- a former Congressman and
      businessman-- never expressed any interest in running for President
      in 2008. That, however, did not stop some folks from
      launching "Draft Sanford for President" groups in early 2005 --
      praising his record of fiscal conservatism. In April 2005, Sanford
      quickly shot down the draft movement when he told South Carolina
      newspapers he would "absolutely not" be a candidate for President in
      2008.

      Former US Senator Richard J. "Rick" Santorum (Pennsylvania)

      For much of 2004-05, social conservatives floated the name of US
      Senator Rick Santorum as a potential Presidential candidate in 2008.
      Santorum -- the #3 Republican in the Senate Leadership -- seemed to
      appreciate the attention, but then the Democrats succeeded in
      recruiting a major challenger (Bob Casey Jr.) against Santorum for
      his '06 Senate race. When Santorum published his controversial It
      Takes A Family book in mid-2005, many thought it was intended to be
      his '08 campaign book. Opponents -- and even media pundits -- crowed
      the book was an opposition researcher's dream because it contained
      so many passages that would be used against him in TV spots. After
      his 2006 re-election defeat, Santorum quickly stated he
      would "absolutely, positively not" be a candidate for President in
      2008.