2327Re: [prezveepsenator] He's The Worst Ever

    May 20, 2007
      I've been interested about what historians are saying
      about the current presidency, and here are some of the
      thoughts I have gleaned. All are paraphrases but
      accurate to their intent.
      At the two Pulitzer prize-winning Arthur Schlesinger
      Jr. memorial service last month, Schlesinger's
      daughter said the AS Jr. did not consider GW Bush a
      worse president than James Buchanan but added " on a
      good day, " inferring that some days he did.
      Pulitzer Prize candidate HW Brand wrote in the March
      2007 Texas Monthly that in the discussion on whether
      Bush is worse than Buchanan, one would have to say
      that as bad a Buchanan was, his situation was
      inherited, where as Bush' troubles were
      self-inflicted. There are several contributors in the
      article, including Robert Caro and Robert Dallek.
      2004 Buchanan biographer Jean Baker began a talk on
      Cspan in 2004 saying that 'James Buchanan is widely
      considered the worst president in American history..
      at least up until now.' It's my personal guess, that
      her opinion has not improved since this was before
      Katrina, the war going so bad, the NSA spy scandal,
      signing statements, etc.
      I'm not trying to be confrontational and would be
      interested in a sincere discussion on the matter.

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/01/AR2006120101509.html
      > He's The Worst Ever
      >
      > By Eric Foner
      > Sunday, December 3, 2006; B01
      >
      > Ever since 1948, when Harvard professor Arthur
      > Schlesinger Sr. asked
      > 55 historians to rank U.S. presidents on a scale
      > from "great" to
      > "failure," such polls have been a favorite pastime
      > for those of us who
      > study the American past.
      >
      > Changes in presidential rankings reflect shifts in
      > how we view
      > history. When the first poll was taken, the
      > Reconstruction era that
      > followed the Civil War was regarded as a time of
      > corruption and
      > misgovernment caused by granting black men the right
      > to vote. As a
      > result, President Andrew Johnson, a fervent white
      > supremacist who
      > opposed efforts to extend basic rights to former
      > slaves, was rated
      > "near great." Today, by contrast, scholars consider
      > Reconstruction a
      > flawed but noble attempt to build an interracial
      > democracy from the
      > ashes of slavery -- and Johnson a flat failure.
      >
      > More often, however, the rankings display a
      > remarkable year-to-year
      > uniformity. Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and
      > Franklin D.
      > Roosevelt always figure in the "great" category.
      > Most presidents are
      > ranked "average" or, to put it less charitably,
      > mediocre. Johnson,
      > Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Warren G. Harding,
      > Calvin Coolidge
      > and Richard M. Nixon occupy the bottom rung, and now
      > President Bush is
      > a leading contender to join them. A look at history,
      > as well as Bush's
      > policies, explains why.
      >
      > At a time of national crisis, Pierce and Buchanan,
      > who served in the
      > eight years preceding the Civil War, and Johnson,
      > who followed it,
      > were simply not up to the job. Stubborn,
      > narrow-minded, unwilling to
      > listen to criticism or to consider alternatives to
      > disastrous
      > mistakes, they surrounded themselves with sycophants
      > and shaped their
      > policies to appeal to retrogressive political forces
      > (in that era,
      > pro-slavery and racist ideologues). Even after being
      > repudiated in the
      > midterm elections of 1854, 1858 and 1866,
      > respectively, they ignored
      > major currents of public opinion and clung to flawed
      > policies. Bush's
      > presidency certainly brings theirs to mind.
      >
      > Harding and Coolidge are best remembered for the
      > corruption of their
      > years in office (1921-23 and 1923-29, respectively)
      > and for channeling
      > money and favors to big business. They slashed
      > income and corporate
      > taxes and supported employers' campaigns to
> [...]
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic