2190Re: Wash. initiative nonesense

  • Gregory
    Feb 8, 2007

      Thanks for a thoughtful follow up to the issue here. I think in some
      places younger generations are more charged on some issues than
      others areas of teh nation. In WI last year colleges were bursting
      with energy and votes on the marriage amendment. I also understand
      that gay acceptance has reached such a level that it all is just
      taken for granted. That can be a good thing. But rights given are
      also rights than can be taken away.

      Black America has the civil rights they rightfully enjoy because so
      many Americans of all colors fought together, and in some cases died,
      to see those rights enacted into law. When we honor the life of Dr.
      King his words need to be a reminder to all of us, black and white,
      that the work for civil rights are not yet complete in our country.
      Martin Luther King said "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice

      Today the great fight for civil rights is with those pressing to end
      discrimination against gay America. I have no doubt that if Dr. King
      were living today he would give voice to ending this hatred and
      discrimination. I am sure he would understand that only bigotry
      drives the "don't ask, don't tell " policy that keeps qualified and
      skilled people from openly serving in the armed forces. I am
      convinced that he would advocate for the equal treatment of gay
      people in relation to marriage. And I am utterly convinced that King
      would have firm words for those within the African-American community
      that do not understand their role, duty, and responsibility to fight
      today for others in securing civil rights. (The vote in African-
      American sections of Milwaukee was troubling on the marriage
      amendment.) King would not be one of those who would pull the ladder
      up until everyone had made it to the `promised land' of full civil

      "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" was not just a
      phrase for another era, another fight. It is a truism that all need
      to be mindful of as we continue to secure a better and more just

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic