2165Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: Molly Ivins Dies of Cancer at 62

    Jan 31, 2007
      Yes, Greg.. thanks for the post.. I hadn't heard
      either. I've posted here before that I used to right
      down the street from her here in Austin and have had
      some fun encounters with her. She was incredibly funny
      and I want to recount a story I heard her tell on
      Cspan:

      There was a crusading religious leader that was always
      rallying his flock against various causes ,usually
      something dealing with sexual behavior that he deemed
      deviant. The object of one crusade was a porn theater
      in South Austin and Molly and John Henry Faulk decided
      to attend one of the rallies.
      A word about John Henry Faulk:
      He was national celebrity as a folklorist on CBS radio
      in the 40s and early 50s and was a running buddy of
      Woodie Guthrie, and as such became a casualty of
      another crusader, Eugene Mcarthy, who ended his
      career.
      John sued McCarthy with the help of Louis Nizer and to
      everyone's amazement the jury asked the judge if it
      would be okay to award Mr. Faulk MORE than damages he
      had sought, and it proved to be the death knell of the
      McCarty era.
      So back to the rally, where John and Molly listened to
      tirade after tirade on the evils of masturbation. At
      the end, the elderly Faulk rose to speak and said:
      "My name is John Henry Faulk and I grew up a few
      blocks away from where the theater now sits, and I
      can assure you that masturbation in South Austin is
      nothing new."
      God knows how long Molly could go on telling stories
      like that but my world has been brighter because of
      her.

      Tom

      === message truncated ===
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic