2163Re: Molly Ivins Dies of Cancer at 62

  • Gregory
    Jan 31, 2007
      Thank you Greg for posting this. I had not heard until tonight when
      I read your post.

      I am really sad to hear this news. What a lady. What a crisp clear
      writer. What a charming wit. I was lucky to have seen her speak here
      in Madison several years ago and laughed and laughed over her
      comments....mostly because they were true. She was loved and will be
      deeply missed.

      Gregory

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>
      wrote:

      > http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
      f=/n/a/2007/01/31/national/a160010S74.DTL

> [...]
      >
      > Ivins loved to write about politics and called the
      > Texas Legislature, which she playfully referred to as
      > "The Lege," the best free entertainment in Austin.
      >
      > "Naturally, when it comes to voting, we in Texas are
      > accustomed to discerning that fine hair's-breadth
      > worth of difference that makes one hopeless dipstick
      > slightly less awful than the other. But it does raise
      > the question: Why bother?" she wrote in a 2002 column
      > about a California political race.
      >
      > Born Mary Tyler Ivins, the California native grew up
      > in Houston. She graduated from Smith College in 1966
      > and attended Columbia University's journalism school.
      > She also studied for a year at the Institute of
      > Political Sciences in Paris.
      >
      > Her first newspaper job was in the complaint
      > department of the Houston Chronicle. She worked her
      > way up at the Chronicle, then went on to the
      > Minneapolis Tribune, becoming the first woman police
      > reporter in the city.
      >
      > Ivins counted as her highest honors that the
      > Minneapolis police force named its mascot pig after
      > her and that she was once banned from the campus of
      > Texas A&M University, according to a biography on the
      > Creators Syndicate Web site.
      >
      > In the late 1960s, according to the syndicate, she was
      > assigned to a beat called "Movements for Social
      > Change" and wrote about "angry blacks, radical
      > students, uppity women and a motley assortment of
      > other misfits and troublemakers."
      >
      > Ivins later became co-editor of The Texas Observer, a
      > liberal Austin-based biweekly publication of politics
      > and literature that was founded more than 50 years
      > ago.
      >
      > She joined The New York Times in 1976. She worked
      > first as a political reporter in New York and later
      > was named Rocky Mountain bureau chief, covering nine
      > mountain states.
      >
      > But Ivins' use of salty language and her habit of
      > going barefoot in the office were too much for the
      > Times, said longtime friend Ben Sargent, editorial
      > cartoonist with the Austin American-Statesman.
      >
      > "She's a force of nature," Sargent said.
      >
      > Ivins returned to Texas as a columnist for the Dallas
      > Times-Herald in 1982, and after it closed she spent
      > nine years with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. In 2001,
      > she went independent and wrote her column for Creators
      > Syndicate.
      >
      > In 1995, conservative humorist Florence King accused
      > Ivins in "American Enterprise" magazine of plagiarism
      > for failing to properly credit King for several
      > passages in a 1988 article in "Mother Jones." Ivins
      > apologized, saying the omissions were unintentional
      > and pointing out that she credited King elsewhere in
      > the piece.
      >
      > She was initially diagnosed with breast cancer in
      > 1999, and she had a recurrence in 2003. Her latest
      > diagnosis came around Thanksgiving 2005.
      >
      > ___
      >
      > Associated Press writers April Castro in Austin and
      > Matt Curry in Dallas contributed to this report.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic