2104Re: [prezveepsenator] A few thoughts about President Ford

    Dec 27, 2006
      Gregory:
      I remember your post, and you convinced me that I had
      been wrong about resenting the pardon all these years.
      It's my opinion that he and Jimmy Carter were the last
      Presidents to consistently put the welfare of the
      country before political expediency. It's a rare
      quality and one that I hope the historians will come
      to consider his defining characteristic.
      Much like Taft, the Presidency was a job that he never
      wanted, but when called to serve, he did so admirably,
      in my opinion.

      Tom

      <http://dekerivers.wordpress.com/2006/09/09/hats-off-to-president-jerry-\
      > ford/>
      >
      > There have been many points of view about the pardon
      > over the decades
      > but I still view Ford's action to be one of the most
      > sincere and brave
      > decisions that any President has made in my
      > lifetime. I grew up in the
      > final months of Watergate and was fascinated as a
      > child by the events
      > taking place in Washington. I have spent the past
      > 20 years as an avid
      > reader and thinker about the life and times of
      > Richard Nixon, and my
      > bookshelves have more than 40 volumes about the man.
      > As a result I have
      > a very firm set of beliefs about the actions of
      > President Ford when he
      > granted the pardon. There is every reason to have
      > wanted Nixon to be
      > brought to justice, but President Ford understood
      > that there was a
      > difference between what the nation wanted, and what
      > it needed. It was
      > because Ford showed real leadership that our
      > national nightmare did end.
      >
      > It is a grateful nation that bids him farewell.
      >

      > Gregory

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic