1569Sources: DeLay to leave House re-election race

    Apr 3, 2006
      http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/03/delay.election/index.html

      Sources: DeLay to leave House re-election race
      Former majority leader to announce move Tuesday

      From Dana Bash
      CNN

      Monday, April 3, 2006; Posted: 10:39 p.m. EDT (02:39
      GMT)

      WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Tom DeLay will drop out of
      his re-election race, two Republican congressional
      sources told CNN Monday.

      DeLay was forced to step down as House majority leader
      last year after being indicted in his home state of
      Texas.

      DeLay told Time magazine Monday that he and his wife,
      Christine, had been prepared for an election battle,
      but that he decided Wednesday to spare his suburban
      Houston district the mudfest to come.

      "This had become a referendum on me," he told the
      magazine. "So it's better for me to step aside and let
      it be a referendum on ideas, Republican values and
      what's important for this district."

      DeLay was calling supporters and colleagues Monday
      night to tell them of his decision, the sources told
      CNN. He was expected to announce his departure at a
      news conference Tuesday morning.

      Last month, DeLay easily won a contested Republican
      primary for his seat.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic