1498Molly Ivins Gives 'Em Hell! A MUST READ!!!!!!!!

  • Gregory
    Mar 8, 2006
      By Molly Ivins
      March 2006 Issue

      Mah fellow progressives, now is the time for all good men and women
      to come to the aid of the party. I don't know about you, but I have
      had it with the D.C. Democrats, had it with the DLC Democrats, had it
      with every calculating, equivocating, triangulating, straddling, hair-
      splitting son of a bitch up there, and that includes Hillary Rodham
      Clinton.

      I will not be supporting Senator Clinton because: a) she has no clear
      stand on the war and b) Terri Schiavo and flag-burning are not issues
      where you reach out to the other side and try to split the
      difference. You want to talk about lowering abortion rates through
      cooperation on sex education and contraception, fine, but don't jack
      with stuff that is pure rightwing firewater.

      I can't see a damn soul in D.C. except Russ Feingold who is even
      worth considering for President. The rest of them seem to me so
      poisonously in hock to this system of legalized bribery they can't
      even see straight.

      Look at their reaction to this Abramoff scandal. They're talking
      about "a lobby reform package." We don't need a lobby reform package,
      you dimwits, we need full public financing of campaigns, and every
      single one of you who spends half your time whoring after special
      interest contributions knows it. The Abramoff scandal is a once in a
      lifetime gift-a perfect lesson on what's wrong with the system being
      laid out for people to see. Run with it, don't mess around with
      little patches, and fix the system.

      As usual, the Democrats have forty good issues on their side and want
      to run on thirty-nine of them. Here are three they should stick to:

      1) Iraq is making terrorism worse; it's a breeding ground. We need to
      extricate ourselves as soon as possible. We are not helping the
      Iraqis by staying.

      2) Full public financing of campaigns so as to drive the moneylenders
      from the halls of Washington.

      3) Single-payer health insurance.

      Every Democrat I talk to is appalled at the sheer gutlessness and
      spinelessness of the Democratic performance. The party is still
      cringing at the thought of being called, ooh-ooh, "unpatriotic" by a
      bunch of rightwingers.

      Take "unpatriotic" and shove it. How dare they do this to our
      country? "Unpatriotic"? These people have ruined the American
      military! Not to mention the economy, the middle class, and our
      reputation in the world. Everything they touch turns to dirt,
      including Medicare prescription drugs and hurricane relief.

      This is not a time for a candidate who will offend no one; it is time
      for a candidate who takes clear stands and kicks ass.

      Who are these idiots talking about Warner of Virginia? Being anodyne
      is not sufficient qualification for being President. And if there's
      nobody in Washington and we can't find a Democratic governor, let's
      run Bill Moyers, or Oprah, or some university president with ethics
      and charisma.

      What happens now is not up to the has-beens in Washington who run
      this party. It is up to us. So let's get off our butts and start
      building a progressive movement that can block the nomination of
      Hillary Clinton or any other candidate who supposedly has "all the
      money sewed up."

      I am tired of having the party nomination decided before the first
      primary vote is cast, tired of having the party beholden to the same
      old Establishment money.

      We can raise our own money on the Internet, and we know it. Howard
      Dean raised $42 million, largely on the web, with a late start when
      he was running for President, and that ain't chicken feed. If we
      double it, it gives us the lock on the nomination. So let's go find a
      good candidate early and organize the shit out of our side.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic