1097"I thought of the clean linens at your table....."

  • Gregory
    Sep 22, 2005
      This was in the Wednesday edition of the NYT and most worthy of
      posting here.

      Poet Rebuffs Laura Bush

      By LAWRENCE VAN GELDER
      Published: September 21, 2005

      Protesting the war in Iraq, the poet Sharon Olds, winner of a
      National Book Critics Circle Award and professor of writing at New
      York University, has rebuffed an invitation from Laura Bush, the
      first lady, to attend the fifth National Book Festival on the
      National Mall in Washington on Saturday. Noting that the event,
      sponsored by the Library of Congress, includes a dinner at the
      library and a breakfast at the White House, Ms. Olds, in a letter on
      the Web site of The Nation (thenation.com/doc/20051010/olds), said
      she found the invitation appealing. "But I could not face the idea of
      breaking bread with you," she wrote in a letter to Mrs. Bush. "I knew
      that if I sat down to eat with you, it would feel to me as if I were
      condoning what I see to be the wild, highhanded actions of the Bush
      administration. . . . So many Americans who had felt pride in our
      country now feel anguish and shame, for the current regime of blood,
      wounds and fire. I thought of the clean linens at your table, the
      shining knives and the flames of the candles, and I could not stomach
      it."
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic